An Inconvenient Truth
"An Inconvenient Truth" is a 2006 documentary film produced by Laurie P. David about global warming featuring former Vice President during the Clinton administration and 2000/2004 presidential candidate Albert Gore, Jr.. 
Gore's book (ISBN 1594865671) by the same title was released by Rodale Books on June 13, 2006. 
About the Documentary
"An Inconvenient Truth" is promoted as offering "a passionate and inspirational look at one man's fervent crusade to halt global warming's deadly progress in its tracks by exposing the myths and misconceptions that surround it. That man is former Vice President Al Gore, who, in the wake of defeat in the 2000 election, re-set the course of his life to focus on a last-ditch, all-out effort to help save the planet from irrevocable change. In this eye-opening and poignant portrait of Gore and his 'traveling global warming show,' Gore also proves himself to be one of the most misunderstood characters in modern American public life. Here he is seen as never before in the media - funny, engaging, open and downright on fire about getting the surprisingly stirring truth about what he calls our 'planetary emergency' out to ordinary citizens before it's too late." 
Pre-Release Showings: The approximately 100-minute documentary film premiered at the Sundance Film Festival January 24-29, 2006, was shown to celebrities and lawmakers March 16, 2006, and at the 2006 Cannes Film Festival  in May.
Public Release: The film is set for public release May 24 (26), 2006, by Paramount Classics and Participant Productions. The film is "produced by Laurie David, Lawrence Bender and Scott Z. Burns. Jeff Skoll, Davis Guggenheim, Diane Weyermann, Ricky Strauss and Jeff Ivers are the executive producers and the co-producer is Lesley Chilcott."  See full cast and crew.
An Inconvenient Truth won Academy Awards for Best Original Song and for Best Documentary - Feature.
In its first month in theaters, An Inconvenient Truth grossed $7,613,606; its total domestic gross was $24,146,161.
About the Book
From the publisher: An Inconvenient Truth, "Gore's groundbreaking battle cry of a follow-up to the bestselling Earth in the Balance, will be published to tie in with a documentary film of the same name that will be seen in theaters across the country in May. Both the book and film were inspired by a series of multimedia presentations on global warming that Gore created and delivers to groups around the world. With this book, Gore, who is one of our environmental heroes -- and a leading expert -- brings together leading-edge research from top scientists around the world; photographs, charts, and other illustrations; and personal anecdotes and observations to document the fast pace and wide scope of global warming. He presents, with alarming clarity and conclusiveness -- and with humor, too -- that the fact of global warming is not in question and that its consequences for the world we live in will be disastrous if left unchecked." 
Note: Earth in the Balance (ISBN 0618056645) was published April 2000 by the Houghton Mifflin Company. See Barnes and Noble's website for publisher's review.
Articles and Resources
- No byline (Undated). An Inconvenient Truth (2006). Box Office Mojo. Retrieved on 2010-12-14. “Domestic Total Gross: $24,146,161”
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Competitive Enterprise Institute
- Participant Productions
- Alliance for Climate Protection
- climate change/Related SourceWatch Resources
- Matt Brown
- Climate Crisis.net. A blog site about the film and global warming.
- William Booth, "Al Gore, Sundance's Leading Man. 'An Inconvenient Truth' Documents His Efforts To Raise Alarm on Effects of Global Warming," Washington Post, January 26, 2006.
- Kim Voynar, "Sundance Review: An Inconvenient Truth," Cinematical.com, January 27, 2006.
- Leonora Oppenheim, "An Inconvenient Truth - Al Gore Is A Hit With Enviro-Film At Sundance," Treehugger.com, February 7, 2006.
- Ezra Klein, "The New New Gore. Five years ago, Al Gore was the much-mocked pol who blew a gimme with his stiff demeanor and know-it-all style. Today? C’mon, admit it: You like him again," The American Prospect, April 8, 2006.
- Joseph Farah, "Feeling warmer?" WorldNetDaily, April 13, 2006.
- David Remnick, "Ozone Man," The New Yorker, April 17, 2006 (posted); April 24, 2006 (issue).
- Richard Cohen, "A Campaign Gore Can't Lose," Washington Post, April 18, 2006.
- Joseph Farah, "'An Inconvenient Truth'," WorldNetDaily, April 19, 2006.
- Steven Milloy, "The Greenhouse Myth," Fox News, April 20, 2006.
- Hannah Selinger, "Global warming is 'inconvenient'," The Raw Story, April 21, 2006.
- Jonah Goldberg, "Conveniently Missing the Truth. Al Gore’s green battiness," National Review Online, April 21, 2006.
- Jason Kottke, "An Inconvenient Truth," Kottke.org, April 24, 2006.
- Carl Pope, "An Inconvenient Truth is Getting Out," Sierra Club, April 24, 2006.
- Judi McLeod, "Gore goes Hollywood with global warming," Canada Free Press, April 25, 2006.
- Eleanor Clift, "'At Some Point, Reality Has Its Day'. Al Gore on why America—and even George Bush—is close to a tipping point on global warming," Newsweek (MSNBC), April 28, 2006.
- Ben Craw, "Movie Review: An Inconvenient Truth," TPM Cafe, April 28, 2006.
- Alan Caruba, "An Inconvenient Al Gore," ChronWatch, May 1, 2006.
- Alex Steffen, "An Inconvenient Truth," WorldChanging.com, May 3, 2006.
- Anne Thompson, "Purveyors of 'Truth' are thinking globally," Hollywood Reporter, May 5, 2006.
- John, "An Inconvenient Truth," EzraKlein Blog, May 5, 2006.
- Clay Carey, "Gore invites 250 to view his global warming documentary," The Tennessean (USA Today), May 7, 2006.
- "Gore says Inconvenient Truth reveals crisis, opportunity," Associated Press (Houston Chronicle), May 8, 2006.
- M.J. Anderson, "Warming up to Gore again," Scripps Howard News Service (The Providence Journal), May 8, 2006.
- David Roberts, "Al Revere. An interview with accidental movie star Al Gore," Grist, May 9, 2006.
- Abhijeet Chavan, "Film Review: Al Gore's 'An Inconvenient Truth'," RealClimate (Planetizen.com), May 9, 2006.
- Antonio Regalado, "Global Warming Will Be Core Focus Of Gore-Led Group," Wall Street Journal, May 10, 2006.
- Eric Stieg, "Al Gore’s movie," RealClimate.org, May 10, 2006.
- News Release: "Paramount Classics Donates 5% of Tickets Sales From 'An Inconvenient Truth' to Alliance for Climate Protection," Paramount Classics (Yahoo! Business), May 10, 2006.
- Bill Blakemore, "Al Gore Emerging -- Presidency Secondary to Global Warming?" ABC News, May 10, 2006.
- calguy, "Quantitative debunking of the fallacy of balance in the global warming 'debate'," TPM Cafe, May 12, 2006.
- "New Study Points to an Inconvenient Truth about Global Warming Mistakes, Ignored Data Bely Claims of Catastrophe and Extinction," U.S. Newswire, May 15, 2006. News release by National Center for Policy Analysis
- Scott Whitlock, "Al Gore Gets Two Film-Promo Segments, Not Just One, on 'Saturday Night Live'," NewsBusters, May 15, 2006.
- Lisa DePasquale, "CEI to Launch Ads Exposing Truth about Gore's Movie," Townhall.com, May 16, 2006.
- "Stars Come Out for Gore's Documentary," Associated Press (Washington Post), May 16, 2006.
- Hil Anderson, "Analysis: Gore churns up warming debate," Monsters & Critics (UK), May 16, 2006.
- "In unscripted moment, Gore says he's a 'recovering politician' who has to worry about 'relapse'," The Raw Story, May 16, 2006.
- "TV ads aim at climate change. Exxon, GM, Ford behind questioning of global warming," Bloomberg News (Winston-Salem Journal (NC)), May 17, 2006.
- Ellen, "FOX News Uses Junk Scientist To Smear Al Gore’s New Film, An Inconvenient Truth," News Hounds, May 17, 2006. re Patrick Michaels
- Kasie Hunt, "Gore debuts global warming film," Associated Press (The Mercury News), May 17, 2006.
- "CEI Launches Ad Campaign to Counter Global Warming Alarmism; Television Ads to Air in 14 U.S. Cities and on www.cei.org," U.S. Newswire, May 17, 2006. News release by the Competitive Enterprise Institute.
- Faiz Shakir, "Big Oil Launches Attack On Al Gore," Think Progress, May 17, 2006.
- Josh Marshall, "Big oil astroturf group, Competitive Enterprise Institute, launches new attack on Al Gore," Talking Points Memo, May 17, 2006.
- Tom DeWeese, "Fanatics, Heretics and the Truth about Global Warming," Magic City Morning Star (Millinocket, Maine), May 17, 2006.
- Judd Legum, "CEI Founder on Global Warming: 'It Looks Pretty Good… We’re Moving To A More Benign Planet'," Think Progress, May 17, 2006.
- Eric Pfeiffer, "Ads aired to answer Gore film 'alarmism'," Washington Times, May 18, 2006.
- "'Carbon Dioxide... We Call It Life,' US TV Ads Say," PlanetArk.com, May 18, 2006.
- Kasie Hunt, "Gore Debuts Global Warming Film. Former Vice President Al Gore debuts global warming film to lawmakers and celebrities," Associated Press (CBS News), May 18, 2006.
- "Appearing on Hannity & Colmes, global warming skeptic Michaels falsely suggested Gore endorsed exaggerating threat posed by global warming," Media Matters for America, May 18, 2006.
- David Roberts, "Pat Michaels slanders Al Gore on Fox's Hannity & Colmes" (May 16), Grist, May 18, 2006.
- Kenneth Turan, "It's the billboard of choice for filmmakers. A tour de force, young directors are climbing the ranks at Cannes," Sydney Morning Herald (Australia), May 18, 2006: "The Al Gore global warming documentary An Inconvenient Truth is screening here, and the American Pavilion will recycle everything it can - even its carpet - in a gesture of solidarity."
- Judd Legum, "Climate Scientist To CEI: Stop Misrepresenting My Research," Think Progress, May 20, 2006. re Curt Davis
- Andrew C. Revkin, "'An Inconvenient Truth': Al Gore's Fight Against Global Warming," New York Times, May 22, 2006.
- "Don't Ignore 'An Inconvenient Truth'," The Progress Report (AlterNet), May 26, 2006.
- "Fox's Keenan issued misleading attack on An Inconvenient Truth's box office earnings," Media Matters for America, May 30, 2006.
- Arianna Huffington, "Al Gore Takes Cannes by Storm -- Will the Oval Office Be Next?" The Huffington Post, May 22, 2006.
- Judd Legum, "Exxon-Backed Pundit Compares Gore To Nazi Propagandist," Think Progress, May 23, 2006: H. Sterling Burnett is "a senior fellow at the National Center for Policy Analysis, an organization that has received over $390,000 from ExxonMobil since 1998."
- "MSNBC's Countdown documented the 'swift-boating of Al Gore'," Media Matters for America, May 30, 2006.
- "On Parshall's show, Burnett attacked Gore again while admitting he hadn't seen An Inconvenient Truth," Media Matters for America, June 5, 2006. re Janet Parshall
- "Beck on An Inconvenient Truth: 'It's like Hitler'," Media Matters for America, June 8, 2006.
- Bill Berkowitz, "Competitive Enterprise Institute's Category 5 Gore bashing. Conservatives having a field day with the release of Al Gore's new film on global warming," WorkingForChange.com, June 8, 2006.
- Katharine Mieszkowski, "Did Al get the science right? The usual oil industry flacks and dogmatic skeptics have surfaced to denounce Al Gore's global warming movie. But climate scientists say that, basically, he got it right," Salon, June 10, 2006.
- "Beck responded to An Inconvenient Truth: If 'Shanghai is under water,' 'does anybody really care?'" Media Matters for America, June 15, 2006.
- Ronald Bailey, "An Inconvenient Truth. Gore as climate exaggerator," Reason Online, June 16, 2006.
- "Al Gore's documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, wins special award," Associated Press (Canadian Press), June 21, 2006.
- "Adding Multimedia Al Gore's Global Warming Book 'An Inconvenient Truth,' Published by Rodale, Hits No. 1 on the New York Times Paperback Non-Fiction Bestseller List," BusinessWire.com, June 22, 2006.
- William Rusher, "Al Gore and the Global Warming Scare," Human Events Online, June 22, 2006.
- H. Sterling Burnett, "The Truth about 'An Inconvenient Truth'," National Center for Policy Analysis, June 22, 2006.
- "Congressional Scientific Commission: Global Warming Is Real, Caused by Humans," Associated Press (Fox News), June 23, 2006.
- Anthony Breznican, "Now, the real test for Gore's 'Truth'," USA Today, updated June 23, 2006.
- "Fox guest likened Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth to Nazi propaganda films," Media Matters for America, June 24, 2006.
- James E. Hansen, "The Threat to the Planet," New York Review of Books, July 13, 2006 (issue).
- "Amateur anti-Gore video is by no amateur," Stay Free Magazine (posts Wall Street Journal article), August 3, 2006. See "Viral Video Questioning Global Warming Linked to DCI," PR Watch, August 3, 2006, re DCI Group
- Zachary Coile, "Global warming fear lights fire under Congress," San Francisco Chronicle, September 23, 2006.
- Mitchel Cohen, "Listen Gore: Some Inconvenient Truths About the Politics of Environmental Crisis", CounterPunch, February 2, 2007.
- Dave McNary, "Docu prize speaks the 'Truth' for Gore. Former VP honored with Oscar win," Variety, February 25, 2007.
- Gary Gentile, "Oscar for Al Gore Global Warming Film," Associated Press (Forbes), February 26, 2007.