19 year old waitress working in a bar dies from asthma attack due to secondhand smoke exposure

From SourceWatch
Jump to navigation Jump to search

{{#badges: Tobaccowiki}} On May 1, 2004 a 19-year-old African-American female waitress working at a Michigan bar died from an asthma attack. The woman was a student who had a job at a fast-food restaurant and worked a second job as a waitress at the bar.

The victim arrived at work at 9:45 p.m., then walked about 25 feet to an open section of the bar. Shortly after she went behind the bar, she grabbed the bar manager and said she needed to get to the hospital and that she needed fresh air. The victim said she wished she had her inhaler with her. As the two walked out from behind the bar and toward the back door, the victim collapsed onto the dance floor. The victim attempted to use an inhaler given to her by a bar patron, but was unable to do so. Emergency Medical Services were was called and she was transported to a local hospital where she was declared dead 30 minutes from the time of the call to EMS.[1][2]

External links

References

  1. Young Adult Female Waitress Died From an Asthma Attack While Working in a Bar NIOSH Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation (FACE); Michigan Case Report #04MI223; Released April 17, 2006, Corrected August 08, 2007
  2. Smoky bar triggered fatal asthma attack; First case of secondhand smoke causing an immediate death, study says MSNBC, February 8, 2008

Articles