Erik Severson is a Republican state Assembly Representative from Wisconsin's 28th Assembly District. He was elected to the Assembly in 2010. 
Severson was reelected on November 6, 2012.
Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
Erik Severson is a member of the American Legislative Exchange Council and sits on ALEC's Health and Human Services Task Force. In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Rep. Severson co-authored 9 bills that reflect ALEC models, according to an analysis by the Center for Media and Democracy.
In 2010, Rep. Severson accepted a $500 donation from ALEC corporate member AT&T.
What is ALEC?
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
ALEC bills supported
2011 Regular session - bills sponsored and co-sponsored:
- Sponsored AB 110 (Special Needs Scholarship) - compare to ALEC model legislation, the ALEC Special Needs Scholarship Program Act (pdf)
- Sponsored AB 7 (Voter ID) - compare to ALEC model legislation Voter ID Act(pdf)
- Sponsored AJR 28 (Assembly Joint Resolution - the "Health Care Freedom Amendment") - Circumvents federal health reform legislation; prohibits requiring a person to obtain or maintain health insurance coverage or to participate in any health care system or plan. Compare to ALEC's model bill, the "Freedom of Choice in Healthcare Act"(pdf).
- Co-sponsored SB 6 (Voter ID) - see AB 7 (Voter ID) - Compare to ALEC's Voter ID Act
- Co-sponsored SJR 21 (Health Care Freedom Amendment) - Senate Joint Resolution 21 - Circumvents federal health reform legislation; prohibits requiring a person to obtain or maintain health insurance coverage or to participate in any health care system or plan. Compare to ALEC's model bill, the "Freedom of Choice in Healthcare Act"(pdf).
Bills voted for:
- AB 40 (2011-2013 Biennial Budget) - compare to ALEC's Title Pledge Act (pdf), ALEC's Public Employees Portable Retirement (PRO) Act (pdf), ALEC's Alternative Methods of Court Appearances Act (pdf) and ALEC's Anti-Crime (Secured Release) Act(pdf)
- AB 7 (Voter ID) - Compare to ALEC's Voter ID Act
- AB 94 (School Choice) "Milwaukee Parental Choice Program" - compare to ALEC's Parental Choice Scholarship Accountability Act
- AB 11 (Budget Repair Bill) - Compare to ALEC's Public Employee Freedom Act (pdf) and ALEC's model Public Employer Payroll Deduction Policy Act(pdf)
- AB 5 (Super-majority) - requires a supermajority to pass tax increases. Compare to ALEC's model Super-Majority Act(pdf)
Room 312 North
P.O. Box 8952
Madison, WI 53708
2147 45th Ave.
Star Prairie, WI 54026
Telephone: (608) 267-2365 0r (888) 529-0028
Fax: (608) 282-3628
- State of Wisconsin Wisconsin State Legislature - Erik Severson, WI state government website, biosketch, accessed August 1, 2011
- Wisconsin Vote, 2012 Election Results, accessed November 27, 2012.
- Democracy Addicts Legilsators: Erik Severson database, accessed August 2, 2011
- Democracy Addicts Eric Severson, Project SmartALEC/Wisconsin legislators. Database. Accessed August 1, 2011