Taser International is a Scottsdale, Arizona-based company that manufactures stun guns.
Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
Taser International has ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC). It was a member of ALEC's Public Safety and Elections Task Force member before it was disbanded in April 2013, as well as its Civil Justice Task Force Member. It terminated its ALEC membership in both task forces on January 14, 2013, according to an August 2013 ALEC board document obtained by The Guardian. See Corporations that Have Cut Ties to ALEC for more.
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
Resources and Articles
Related SourceWatch Resources
- Hamilton Nolan, "ANALYSIS Corporate Case Study: Taser facing uphill battle to safeguard its image", PR Week, May 9 2005. (Sub req'd.)
- Alison Fitzgerald, Pro-Gun Group’s Call to Sell Seized Weapons Advances to States, Bloomberg, August 10, 2011
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Public Safety & Elections Task Force 2011 Spring Task Force Summit April 29, 2011 Minutes, organizational document, June 30, 2011, p. 5, obtained and released by Common Cause April 2012
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Director - Full Name and Address, organizational task force membership directory, June 30, 2011, p. 31, obtained and released by Common Cause April 2012
- American Legislative Exchange Council, ALEC 40th Anniversary Annual Meeting Board Meeting packet, organizational documents, August 6, 2013, released by The Guardian December 3, 2013.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|