Albert A. List Foundation
Albert A. List Foundation was founded in 1952 and closed its doors in late 2004.
"Albert A. List established the foundation in his name in 1952. List believed that his success was a product of this country's spirit of democracy and opportunity. He encouraged his daughters, the Directors of the Foundation, to promote democratic institutions and practices within our pluralistic society.
"The continuing political, economic and social challenges of the 1990’s led the Foundation’s Directors to assess their grant-making strategy. After a comprehensive planning process, they decided to spend out the Foundation’s assets in order to increase the impact of grantee organizations on critical public issues. With a record of more than 50 years of grantmaking, the Albert A. List Foundation closed its doors in December 2004." 
"However, the increasingly restrictive political climate of the early1990’s affected both the nation’s and the Foundation’s priorities—though in strikingly different ways. The Foundation’s Directors came to believe that they could no longer meet their objectives by continuing prior funding patterns. In the face of rampant anti-democratic extremism, the Foundation looked for new methods of sustaining its commitment to liberty and justice for all.
"With Sidney Shapiro advising, the Directors redefined the Foundation’s priorities and developed the following program areas:
- Democracy and Citizen Participation
- Economic Justice
- Freedom of Expression and the Arts
- New Problems/New Solutions
- Telecommunications Policy and Advocacy
- Special Initiatives
"The Foundation has also focused on the American Jewish Community and Israel. In 2001, the Foundation developed special initiatives in Capacity Building and Independent Media.
"The continuing political, economic and social challenges of the 1990’s led the Foundation to further assess its grant-making strategy. After a comprehensive planning process, the Directors decided to spend out the Foundation’s assets in order to increase the impact of grantee organizations on critical public issues. The Albert A. List Foundation closed its doors in December 2004.
"The Directors state: “It has been an honor to support these organizations in their efforts to build a progressive, multi-issue movement for social change. We have fostered innovation, helped build dynamic and lasting coalitions, and worked to ensure a diverse, vital democratic future for our country. It saddens us to close the Foundation, but we are proud of the grantees’ many accomplishments. We know that our values will live on through this extraordinary group of organizations. We thank them and our partners in progressive philanthropy for the opportunity to engage in this rewarding work together.”
"The Directors of the Foundation were Jo List Levinson, Carol List Schwartz, Olga List Mack and Viki Laura List. Jo List Levinson passed away in November 2001. Carol List Schwartz passed away in April 2003. Allison Barlow was elected to the Board of Directors in May of 2003. The Program Consultants were Allison Barlow, Helen Brunner and Sidney Shapiro. The Administrative Consultant was Mary Frey Bennett."
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Political Research Associates
- Independent Media Institute
- Media Democracy Fund
- Helen Brunner
- Jo List - Former Treasurer
- Viki Laura List - Former President
- Olga List Mack - Former Secretary
- Carol List Schwartz - Former Director
- Home, Albert A. List Foundation, accessed March 17, 2008.