The Assembly of Experts is a body of 86 members. It is exclusively reserved for Islamic clerics who are elected by voters every eight years.
On 20 July 2007, the 85-year-old Ayatollah Meshkini fell into a coma. A few days later, a think thank reported he was dead or "on the brink of death." Later, he died before the start of August 2007.
- Ayatollah Meshkini in Friday Sermon at Qom: The Holocaust Is a Lie, transcript, December 17, 2005
- Key Iran clerical body chief dies after illness, 30 July 2007
- Robert Tait, "Senior cleric's death opens up power struggle in Iran", Guardian Unlimited, 30 July 2007
- "Senior Iranian cleric’s state of health sharply deteriorates", Iran Focus, 19 Jul 2007
- David Blair, "Iran ayatollah death opens way for moderates", The Daily Telegraph, 1 August 2007
- "Ayatollah Meshkini slips into coma", Press TV, 20 July 2007
- "Ayatollah Meshkini hospitalized", Mehr News Agency, 20 July 2007
- Patrick Clawson and Mehdi Khalaji, "How Supreme Is Iran's Supreme Leader?", The Washington Institute for Near East Policy, July 23, 2007