Anibal Romero is a political science professor at Simon Bolivar University in Venezuela .
Opposition to Hugo Chavez
Romero is a prominent critic of Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez. In February 2005, the Associated Press quoted Romero as saying of Chavez's rule, "Venezuelan society has become poorer and, in addition, divided" .
Also in early February 2005, Romero featured in "The Iron Fist of Hugo Chavez", an anti-Chavez piece on the Fox News website: "Political science professor Anibal Romero called Chavez a 'dangerous fellow, a confused person who is deeply anti-American and is prepared to do terrible things'." 
Romero is no stranger to using inflammatory language about Chavez. In July 2002 the Baltimore Chronicle reported that:
- Now, on the eve of the July 11 march, the anti-Chávez rhetoric is getting increasingly violent. In the last couple of weeks, Anibal Romero, a columnist for the anti-Chávez daily El Nacional, called the president "a cancer that must be eradicated even at the cost of a civil war." 
- Founder and first editor of Politica Internacional, a Venezuelan journal of international affairs established in 1986 .
- In 1996, he was a Research Associate at the John M. Olin Institute of Strategic Studies at Harvard University, where he was Visiting Scholar at the Center for Latin American Studies in 1995 .
- Participant in "Constructing Democracy and Markets: East Asia & Latin America", a "one-and-a-half-day conference on democratic development and economic growth in East Asia and Latin America" organized by the National Endowment for Democracy on January 26-27, 1996 .
- Author of numerous books including The Decline and Prospects of Venezuelan Democracy (published in Spanish, 1994) .
- The 2000 annual report of the right-wing Hoover Institution listed Romero as a Visiting Fellow .
- Proceedings: Constructing Democracy and Markets: East Asia & Latin America, National Endowment for Democracy, January 26-27, 1996. Lists Romero as a participant.
- Hoover Institution: Annual Report 2000: Fellows. Accessed February 5, 2005.
- Brad Carlton, "History of Chávez: Why He Upsets DC", Baltimore Chronicle and Sentinel, July 28, 2002.
- Ian James, "Hugo Chavez celebrates sixth anniversary", Associated Press, February 2, 2005.
- "The Iron Fist of Hugo Chavez", FoxNews.com, February 04, 2005. Features Romero.
- Ellen, "Is Venezuela Next? FOX News Paves the Way!", Newshounds blog, February 05, 2005. Discusses the Fox News item of the previous day.