Beihai New Area Heating power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Beihai New Area Heating power station (魏桥集团北海新区供热中心) is a 1,560-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Shandong Province, China.
- 1 Location
- 2 Background on Plant
- 3 Expansion
- 4 Shandong Weiqiao Group found to have built 45 coal-fired units without necessary permits
- 5 Shandong Weiqiao Group says regulation will lead to widespread lay-offs
- 6 Project Details
- 7 Articles and resources
The satellite photo below shows Units 5-8 in Binzhou prefecture.
The satellite photo below shows two clusters of smaller units, one directly to the south and the other farther to the south. It is not clear which of these groups of four smaller units is Units 1-4.
Background on Plant
Shandong Weiqiao Group found to have built 45 coal-fired units without necessary permits
In August and September 2017, China's central government Environmental Protection Inspection Group 3 (中央第三环境保护督察组) spent a month in Shandong Province, to inspect the province's environmental protection work. In its final inspection report, the Group found that Shandong Weiqiao Group illegally built 45 coal power units in Shandong since 2013.
In May 2018, the Shandong Provincial government responded to the inspection report with a plan to address the wrongdoings. According to the province, 33 of Weiqiao's 45 illegal coal power plants had since completed the necessary procedures to receive environment clearance and continue operating; 12 of the plants did not complete any procedures and should stop construction and operation immediately. Among the 12 units, 4 units should stop construction, and 8 units should stop operation, although they are not named.
Shandong Weiqiao Group says regulation will lead to widespread lay-offs
In April 2018, Shandong Weiqiao Group and Xinfa Group responded to reports the central government planned to regulate captive coal plants by saying the regulations would lead to widespread lay-offs. According to the companies, the regulations would result in 180,000 workers losing their jobs at the Shandong Weiqiao Group, and 80,000 at Xinfa Group.
- Sponsor: Weiqiao Aluminum Limited
- Parent company: Shandong Weiqiao Group
- Location: Beihai New Area, Wudi, Binzhou prefecture, Shandong Province, China
- Coordinates: 38.022916, 117.972606 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 1,560 MW (Units 1-4: 60 MW, Units 5-8: 330 MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- Start year: Units 1-4: 2012, Units 5-8: 2015
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "山东滨州北海电厂项目召开复工前交底会," 2014-8-25
- "哈尔滨电机厂有限责任公司," Aug 25, 2015
- "滨州北海公共供热中心4×330兆瓦供热中心工程[山东,"] 中国管道商务网, 2015-11-13
- "汽轮机公司设计制造的魏桥北海2号机组一次启动成功," Harbin Electric, 2015-06-11
- "魏桥因自备电厂再遭点名 违规建设发电机组45台," Jiemian, 2018/05/31
- "山东省公开中央环境保护督察整改方案," China MEP, 2018年05月29日
- "“24万人下岗给你们看”！自备电厂或将迎来史上最严整治风暴," Sohu, 2018-04-23