Bijao Power Station

From SourceWatch
Jump to navigation Jump to search

{{#badges:CoalSwarm|Navbar-LatinAmericacoal}}Bijao Power Station is a two-unit, 105-megawatt (MW) coal- and oil-fired plant located in Choloma, Honduras.[1]


The map below shows the plant, located in Choloma, Cortés, Honduras

Loading map...


The plant was announced in 2013 with an estimated cost of US$125 million.[2] 80% of the electricity generated would be acquired by the National Electricity Company (ENEE), while the remaining 20% would be used by the Cementos del Norte factory in Choloma.[2]

Project Details

  • Sponsor: Bijao Electric Company
  • Parent company: Cementos del Norte; Cementos Progreso
  • Location: Choloma, Cortés, Honduras
  • Coordinates: 15.7033457 -87.9268867 (exact)
  • Status: Unit 1-2: Operating; Unit 3: Operating[3]
  • Gross Capacity: Unit 1: 35 MW; Unit 2: 35 MW; Unit 3: 35 MW
  • In service: Units 1-2: 2015; Unit 3: unknown
  • Type:
  • Coal Type:
  • Coal Source:
  • Source of financing:

Articles and resources


  1. Bijao Electric Company S.A. de C.V. BN Americas, accessed November 2018
  2. 2.0 2.1 Honduras: $125 million in Coal-Fired Generation, Central American Data, Nov. 13, 2013
  3. Our Company, Beco S.A., accessed May 2019

Related SourceWatch articles

External resources