Bina Thermal Power Project
Bina Thermal Power Project is a 500-megawatt (MW) coal-fired project located in the Singrauli district of Madhya Pradesh, India.
The map below shows the location of the plant in Bina tehsil.
The project is proposed by Jaiprakash Power Ventures, a power generation subsidiary of the privately owned Jaypee Group, a major Indian infrastructure company with interests in civil engineering and construction, cement, power, real estate, expressways, hospitality, golf courses and education. It is being developed by the JPV subsidiary Bina Power Supply Company Limited.
While the Central Electricity Authority describes the projects as being 500 MW in size, in 2012 Jaiprakash Power Ventures described it as a 1,250 MW project, implying a 750 MW expansion was planned. In 2011, Jaiprakash Power received a "Terms of Reference" from the Ministry of Environment and Forests for a 700 MW expansion project at Bina.
In 2014, Jaiprakash Power Ventures no longer mentioned Unit 3 project on its website, suggesting it has been cancelled.
Funds for the project are being provided by IDBI Bank in consortium with Punjab National Bank, Central Bank of India, Union Bank of India, Canara Bank, State Bank of Hyderabad, J&K Bank, Bank of Rajasthan, State Bank of Patiala and Allahabad Bank.
Sponsor: Jaiprakash Power Ventures
Location: Jodh and Sirchopi villages, Bina tehsil, Sagar district, Madhya Pradesh
Coordinates: 24.3172217, 78.133564 (exact)
- Unit 1: Operating - commissioned August 2012
- Unit 2: Operating - commissioned March 2013
- Unit 3: Cancelled
- Unit 1: 250 MW
- Unit 2: 250 MW
- Unit 3: 700 MW
Projected in service:
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing: IDBI Bank in consortium with Punjab National Bank, Central Bank of India, Union Bank of India, Canara Bank, State Bank of Hyderabad, J&K Bank, Bank of Rajasthan, State Bank of Patiala and Allahabad Bank
Permits and applications: Terms of Reference, Unit 3, India MoEF, June 15, 2011
Related SourceWatch articles
- Jaiprakash Power Ventures, "Thermal Power", Jaiprakash Power Ventures website, accessed January 2012.
- "Terms of Reference," MoEF, June 15, 2011
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, August 2013
- "Thermal Power: Bina Thermal Power plant – 500 MW," Jaiprakash Power Ventures website, accessed March 2014
- "Bina power project achieves financial closure for Phase I" Steel Guru, November 11, 2009.