Brown University is located in Providence, Rhode Island.
Brown University does animal testing.
Facility information, progress reports & USDA-APHIS reports
For links to copies of a facility's U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)-Animal Plant Health Inspection (APHIS) reports, other information and links, see also Facility Reports and Information: Brown University, Providence, RI..
USDA AWA reports
As of May 26, 2009, the USDA began posting all inspection reports for animal breeders, dealers, exhibitors, handlers, research facilities and animal carriers by state. See also USDA Animal Welfare Inspection Reports.
Animal cruelty & welfare violations
On July 28, 2010, Brown received nine federal citations from the USDA for violations of the Animal Welfare Act (AWA). Violations occurred in areas of Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee, Unqualified Personnel, Housing, Environmental Enhancement, Watering, and Facilities. In a particularly shocking case of neglect, a primate was denied access to water for three days when a researcher left town and no alternative care arrangements were made. In another incident in May of 2009, two students performed unapproved surgical procedures on three animals, resulting in euthanasia for two of the animals due to complications. According to Micheal Budkie, Executive Director of the watchdog group, Stop Animal Exploitation NOW! (SAEN):
- “Negligence at Brown killed two animals and caused a primate to go without water for three days. This facility should face serious consequences for these incidents of obvious incompetence.”
SAEN contacted the USDA to demand that Brown receive “the largest fine allowable by law.” In a letter to Dr. Jeffrey Flier, Mr. Budkie demanded a tour of the primate center, accompanied by Boston area news media and access to health records for the facility's primates. 
See also section 1 on facility information & progress reports.
- Ruth J. Simmons, President of Brown University
Articles & sources
- Andrew Bostom
- Animal testing
- Humane Movement
- Joanne Leedom-Ackerman
- Ford Foundation/Projects supported by the Ford Foundation
- Katherine G. Farley
- National Institutes of Health
- National Primate Research Center System
- Robert J. Zimmer
- U.S. Government's War on Animals
- Walter E. Massey
- ↑ Facility Reports and Information: Brown University, Providence, RI, Stop Animal Experimentation NOW!, accessed February 2011
- ↑ USDA Cites Brown as Animals Die in Surgical Demonstration:Primate Goes Thirsty for Three Days & Group Demands Fine, SAEN, September 2, 2010