"By the time he was 4 years old, C. Norman Shealy knew he wanted to be a physician. Just how far down the road that would take him, he could never have imagined at that time. Now, Dr. Shealy's ideas have been the foundation for pain management therapies used worldwide, and the Shealy Program is the mainstay of chronic pain treatment and management sought by patients and physicians alike...
"Norm and his wife of 40 years, Mary-Charlotte, live in Missouri, where Chardy is also known world-wide for her Success-Centered Riding and Training...
"In 1961 he spent 9 months working with Sir John Eccles, Nobel Laureate, at the Australian National University. In 1977 he earned a Ph.D. in Psychology from Saybrook Institute, the leading Humanistic Psychology school. And he received a Doctor of Science degree from Ryodoraku Institute.
He then spent 3½ years at Western Reserve Medical School, where his research led to both Dorsal Column Stimulation and Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS™), both now used worldwide to help control pain. In 1966 he became Chief of Neurosciences at Gundersen Clinic, one of the 10 largest clinics in the U.S. In 1971 he founded the first comprehensive pain and stress management clinic in the world. The Shealy Institute was recognized for several years as the most successful and most cost effective pain clinic in the U.S. Over a 30 year period his clinic treated over 30,000 chronically ill patients with a remarkable 85% success rate.
"His other contributions include:
- Winner of first Harold G. Wolff award for excellence in pain research
- Biogenics®, a software system for biofeedback training and self-regulation
- Trained several notable Medical Intuitives, including Caroline M. Myss
- Founder and first President of American Holistic Medical Association
- Founded the Ambrose and Olga Worrall Institute for Spiritual Healing
- Founded Holos Institutes of Health, Inc., a 502-C-3 organization for research and education
- Co-Founded with Caroline Myss the American Board for Scientific Medical Intuition
- Founded and is President of Holos University Graduate Seminary, a graduate school, accredited by New Thought Accreditation Commission, offering doctoral degrees in spiritual healing and Energy Medicine
- Holistic Person of the Year, 1985, AHMA
- Founding Diplomate, American Board of Holistic Medicine, 2000
"He has over 312 publications, including 23 books. His first major public book, 90 DAYS TO SELF-HEALTH sold 130,000 copies.
"He has appeared on numerous national TV programs, including The Tomorrow Show, The Joan Rivers program, Geraldo, Good Morning, America, the Today Show, Oprah, the Wisdom Channel, and scores of regional and local television and radio programs. He has had for 20 years the most popular call-in radio show in the Ozarks on KWTO, 560 AM. He publishes a free weekly e-newsletter. "
Married to Mary-Charlotte B. Shealy author of Horses Whispering.
"He has acted as consultant to leaders in every specialty, including the personal physicians of President's Kennedy and Eisenhower." 
Resources and articles
- Norm Shealey Bio, organizational web page, accessed June 25, 2013.