Carl Pope is Treasurer of America Coming Together and the former Executive Director of the Sierra Club, "an organization of 700,000 environmental activists. Pope has spent 30 years in the environmental trenches, and worked to enact such statutes as the Clean Air and Clean Water Acts, the Superfund and California Desert Protection Act."
"Carl Pope was appointed Executive Director of the Sierra Club in 1992. A veteran leader in the environmental movement, Mr. Pope has been with the Sierra Club for nearly thirty years. In that time he has served as Associate Conservation Director, Political Director and Conservation Director...
"In addition to his work with the Sierra Club, Mr. Pope has had a distinguished record of environmental activism and leadership. He has served on the Boards of the California League of Conservation Voters, Public Voice, National Clean Air Coalition, California Common Cause, Public Interest Economics, Inc., and Zero Population Growth. Mr. Pope was also Executive Director of the California League of Conservation Voters and the Political Director of Zero Population Growth.
"Mr. Pope is co-author -- along with Paul Rauber -- of Strategic Ignorance: Why the Bush Administration Is Recklessly Destroying a Century of Environmental Progress, which the New York Review of Books called "a splendidly fierce book." Mr. Pope's other books include Sahib, an American Misadventure in India (1971) and Hazardous Waste in America (1981).
"Mr. Pope graduated summa cum laude from Harvard College in 1967. He then spent two years as a volunteer with the Peace Corps in Barhi, Bihar, India, where he helped communities and families address the human and environmental impacts of overpopulation."
- Director, Apollo Alliance
- Director, CERES 
- Advisory Committee, Alliance for Climate Protection
- Judge, Since Sliced Bread
- Advisory Board, Environmental Media Association 
- Global Advisory Committee, Earth Day Network 
Resources and articles
- Carl Pope, Sierra Club, accessed October 20, 2009.
- CERES Board, organizational web page, accessed June 1, 2013.
- Advisory Committee, Alliance for Climate Protection, accessed October 20, 2007.
- Judges, Since Sliced Bread, accessed February 13, 2008.
- Advisory Board, Environmental Media Association, accessed January 16, 2011.
- Earth Day Network Global Advisory Committee, organizational web page, accessed December 21, 2013.
Related Sourcewatch Articles
- Joann Hari, The wrong kind of green, "The Nation", March 22, 2010.