Centre of Excellence in Policing and Security
The Australian Research Council's Centre of Excellence in Policing and Security (CEPS) "is headquartered at Griffith University, in partnership with the Australian National University, the University of Queensland and Charles Sturt University, bringing international focus to the study of policing and national security to Australia.
"Vice Chancellor Professor Ian O'Connor said the centre's world-class scholars would expand Australia’s understanding of trans-national threats and help build new responses to the security challenges of the 21st century...
"CEPS Director Professor Lorraine Mazerolle said the centre would enhance Australia’s local policing capacity and security role in the Asia-Pacific region and globally...
"Projects commencing in 2008 include:
- Professors Peter Grabosky (CEPS Deputy Director), Lorraine Mazerolle (CEPS Director) and Gabriele Bammer (Chief Investigator) will work with Harvard University and police departments in Australia to reform police responses to serious crime problems;
- Professors Lorraine Mazerolle and Tim Prenzler (Chief Investigator) will work with international scholar Professor Lawrence Sherman (Cambridge University) to test better and more effective ways for policing vulnerable and conflict ridden communities and;
- Professor Michael Wesley (Chief Investigator) will explore networks of trans-national actors that threaten Australia’s security.
"CEPS has start-up funding totalling $26 million. Ten million dollars has been contributed by the Australian Research Council, $1 million from the Queensland Government and $4.43 million from other industry partners including the Victoria Police and the Australian Federal Police." 
International Partner Investigators
Accessed February 2008: 
- Laurence Alison - Professor and Chair, Forensic Psychology Director, Centre for Critical Incident Research University of Liverpool
- David Bayley - Distinguished Professor, School of Criminology and Criminal Justice, State University of New York at Albany
- Ronald Clarke - Professor, School of Criminal Justice, Rutgers University
- Benoit Dupont - Director, International Centre of Comparative Criminology, University of Montreal
- Gary La Free - Director, National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism, Professor, Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice, University of Maryland
- Gloria Laycock - Director, Jill Dando Institute of Crime Science, University College London
- Clifford Shearing - Professor, Institute of Criminology, University of Cape Town
- Lawrence Sherman - Wolfson Professor of Criminology, Cambridge University and Professor and Director, Jerry Lee Centre of Criminology, University of Pennsylvania
- Michael Stohl - Professor and Chair, Department of Communication, University of California, Santa Barbara
- David Weisburd - Director and Walter E. Meyer Professor, Institute of Criminology, Hebrew University, Professor Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice, University of Maryland
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- World first police and security research centre opens in Brisbane, Griffith Univesity, accessed February 23, 2008.
- Staff, Griffith Univesity, accessed February 23, 2008.