Changhua power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Taiwan and coal|
Changhua power station (台化彰化發電廠) is a 271-megawatt (MW) coal plant in Changhua, Taiwan.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant in Changhua.
The coal-fired power plant is located at Formosa Chemicals and Fibre Corporations’ chemical plant complex. Formosa sells power to Taipower Company, a state-owned enterprise. The plant accounts for about 60 percent of the county’s coal consumption. It was originally a five-unit, 314 MW power station (Units G4-G8), commissioned from 1986 to 1999.
In September 2016 over 3000 people rallied urging the Changhua county government to refuse an extension of the operating permit for the plant, which is due to expire on September 28, 2016. A petition launched on September 10 against the plant for its air pollution effects attracted 10,000 signatures. The Changhua County Council in July 2016 passed a bylaw to enforce more stringent emissions standards to improve air quality by effectively banning petroleum coke and bituminous coal. The county government has issued a statement saying it plans to remove Formosa’s facility from Changhua city to make the city coal-free.
On September 30, 2016, Formosa Chemicals said it will shut down the plant beginning next week as the local government declined to renew permits for its cogeneration equipment. The plant's workers are protesting the decision.
In March 2017, the Taiwan EPA allowed the power station's three newest units to continue operating. The two oldest units remain shut down since 2016.
- Sponsor: Formosa Chemicals & Fibers
- Parent company: Formosa Plastics Group
- Location: Changhua city, Changhua County, Taiwan
- Coordinates: 24.09293, 120.560787 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 271 MW (Unit G6: 57 MW, Unit G7: 101 MW, Unit G8: 113 MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- In service: 1991 (Unit G6), 1994 (Unit G7), 1999 (Unit G8)
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Thousands rally against power plant in Changhua," Taipei Times, Sep 19, 2016
- "Formosa Chemicals to shut down Taiwan plant amid regulatory battle," Reuters, Sep 30, 2016
- "逆轉 台化彰化廠可復工 環團抗爭到底," Apple Daily, 2017年03月11日