Chiefs for Change
Chiefs for Change is an organization founded by former Florida Governor Jeb Bush and operated by the Foundation for Excellence in Education which consists of former and current state education officials in support of Bushes conservative education reform agenda. In the Public Interest describes Cheifs for Change as, "an alliance of conservative state superintendents and education department directors with significant authority over purchasing and policy in their states." On their website, Chiefs for Change describes itself as, "a coalition of state school chiefs and leaders who share a zeal for education reform. Together, they provide a strong voice for bold reform on the federal, state and local level."
Florida, Louisiana, Maine, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, and Tennessee all have education officials in Chiefs for Change.
As of June 6th, 2013 members include:
- Tony Bennett, Florida Commissioner of Education
- John White, Louisiana State Superintendent of Education
- Stephen Bowen, Maine Commissioner of Education
- Chris Cerf, New Jersey Commissioner of Education
- Hanna Skandera, New Mexico Public Education Department & Chair of Chiefs for Change
- Janet Barresi, Oklahoma State Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Deborah A. Gist, Rhode Island Commissioner of Elementary and Secondary Education & Vice Chair of Chiefs for Change
- Kevin Huffman, Tennessee Commissioner of Education
- Paul Pastorek, Member Emeritus
- Gerard Robinson, Member Emeritus
- Eric Smith, Member Emeritus
P.O. Box 10691
Tallahassee, FL 32302
Phone: (850) 391-4090
Fax: (786) 664-1794
Resources and Articles
- ,Nonprofit group releases emails which depict connection between ALEC, education reform and corporate investors, Louisiana Voice, January 30th, 2013.
- ,Bush's Education Nonprofit and Corporate Profits, In the Public Interest, January 30th, 2013.
- , Chiefs for Change,About, Group website, accessed June 5th, 2013.
- Chiefs for Change, Members, Group Website, accessed June 5th, 2013.