Citizens' Health Care Working Group
The Citizens' Health Care Working Group was created by Congress as "part of the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act of 2003, which became Public Law 108-173, Sec. 1014. 
The fourteen Working Group members were selected in February 2005 by Comptroller General of the United States David M. Walker. "By law, the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) served as the 15th member." 
- 1 Mission
- 2 Working Group Members
- 3 Contact Information
- 4 Related SourceWatch Resources
- 5 External links
Hearings and Community Meetings
"The Working Group asked citizens to give their answers to four vital questions: 
- What health care benefits and services should be provided?
- How does the American public want health care delivered?
- How should health care coverage be financed?
- What trade-offs are the American public willing to make in either benefits or financing to ensure access to affordable, high-quality health care coverage and services?
Interim recommendations were released by the Working Group on June 2, 2006. As required, on September 29, 2006, the Working Group submitted its Final Recommendations to Congress and President George W. Bush within two years from the February 2005 appointments. 
Working Group Members
Selected Members of Working Group
Links to profiles for Working Group members are here.
- Frank J. Baumeister, Jr.
- Dorothy A. Bazos
- Montye S. Conlan
- Joseph T. Hansen
- Therese A. Hughes
- Brent C. James
- Randall L. Johnson
- Mike Leavitt
- Catherine G. McLaughlin
- Rosario Perez
- Aaron Shirley
- Deborah R. Stehr
- Christine L. Wright
Working Group Staff
A list of Working Group Staff and Partners is found here.
- George F. Grob, Executive Director
Contractors and Consultants
Organizations who supported the Working Group in its task are cited here.
The following are cited as legislative sponsors here.
- Sen. Orrin G. Hatch (R-Utah) - Legislation co-sponsor
- Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Oregon) - Legislation co-sponsor
- Rep. Leonard Boswell (D-Iowa)
- Rep. John Dingell (D-Mich.)
- Rep. Robin Hayes (R-N.C.)
- Rep. Jay Inslee (D-Wash.)
- Rep. Jim McDermott (D-Wash.)
- Rep. Charles B. Rangel (D-N.Y.)
- Rep. Bennie G. Thompson (D-Miss.)
- Rep. Mark Udall (D-Col.)
- Sen. Max Baucus (D-Mont.)
- Sen. Evan Bayh (D-Ind.)
- Sen. Robert F. Bennett (R-Utah)
- Sen. Conrad Burns (R-Mont.)
- Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.)
- Sen. Elizabeth Dole (R-N.C.)
- Sen. Byron L. Dorgan (D-N.D.)
- Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa)
- Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa)
- Sen. Orrin G. Hatch (R-Utah)
- Sen. Tim Johnson (D-S.D.)
- Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.)
- Sen. Richard G. Lugar (R-Ind.)
- Sen. Ken Salazar (D-Col.)
- Sen. Gordon Smith (R-Ore.)
- Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.)
Local and State Officials
- Montana Lt. Governor John Bohlinger (R)
- Sioux Falls, S.D. Mayor Dave Munson
- Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa
Related SourceWatch Resources
- Press Release: "Comptroller General Walker Names 14 Members to Citizens' Health Care Working Group," Government Accountability Office, February 28, 2005.
- Kevin Freking, "President Rejects Health Care Proposal. President Disagrees With Proposal From Working Group for Guaranteed Health Care," Associated Press (ABC News), March 14, 2007.