Citizens for Strength and Security
Citizens for Strength and Security (CSS) is a 527 Political Action Committee that "seeks to raise awareness about the issues that matter to America’s middle class."  CSS is a left-leaning group that runs ads supporting Democratic candidates (and opposing Republican candidates).
The Citizens for Strength and Security Action Fund (CSS Action Fund), a 501(c)(4) that is not required to disclose its donors, appears to be affiliated with the 527 CSS, although the two groups list different custodians and addresses.
2010 Midterm Elections
In 2010, the 527 wing of CSS has primarily been funded by the Democratic Governors Association, the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, and the Service Employees International Union.
As of October 27, 2010, it does not appear that the 527 wing of CSS has run any advertisements. However, the 501(c)(4) CSS Action Fund has spent $1,377,680.00 supporting:
- Michael F. Bennet (D- CO Senate) $207,920.00
- Scott Murphy (D- NY- 20) $114,650.00
- Patty Murray (D- WA Senate) $640,410.00
- Joe Manchin (D- WV Senate) $414,700.00
Groups at same address
Other groups sharing an address with the CSS Action Fund include:
- Blue America PAC
- Blue America Independent Expenditure Committee
- National Democratic Law Students Council
- Matthew 25 Network
- Patriot Majority Midwest
- Patriot Majority
- Patriot Majority West
- American Public Policy Committee
- Citizens for Strength and Security Homepage, accessed October 27, 2010.
- Ryan Sibley, 'Grassroots' group grows mainly in offices of D.C. law and PR firms October 7, 2010, Sunlight Foundation Reporting Group.
- October 13 2010, Citizens for Strength and Security IRS Report of Contributions and Expenditures.
- October 27, 2010, CSS Action Fund Inc. Expenditures, Sunlight Foundation.