Learn more about corporations VOTING to rewrite our laws.
|Type||Public (NYSE: CNL)|
|Headquarters||2030 Donahue Ferry Rd.|
Pineville, LA 71360
|Key people||Michael H. Madison, CEO|
|Industry||Electric Producer and Utility|
|Revenue||$1.03 billion (2007)|
|Net income||▲ $151.8 million (2007)|
Cleco Midstream Resources
Cleco Support Group
Cleco Corp. is an energy services company based in central Louisiana. They have been in business since 1934. Their two primary businesses are Cleco Power LLC, a regulated electric utility business serving approximately 265,000 customers in Louisiana, and Cleco Midstream Resources LLC, a wholesale energy business.
Support for the American Legislative Exchange Council
Cleco was a "Trustee" level sponsor of 2011 American Legislative Exchange Council Annual Conference, which in 2010, equated to $5,000. Cleco was also a sponsor of the Louisiana Welcome Reception at the 2011 ALEC Annual Meeting.
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
Out of its total 3,085 MW of electric generating capacity in 2005 (0.29% of the U.S. total), Cleco produces 58.5% from natural gas and 41.5% from coal. All of Cleco's power plants are in Louisiana.
Existing coal-fired power plants
|Plant Name||State||County||Year(s) Built||Capacity||2007 CO2 Emissions||2006 SO2 Emissions|
|Dolet Hills||LA||De Soto||1986||721 MW||5,742,000 tons||20,908 tons|
|Rodemacher||LA||Rapides||1982||558 MW||4,039,000 tons||10,837 tons|
In 2006, Cleco's two coal-fired power plants emitted 9.8 million tons of CO2 and 31,000 tons of SO2.
Articles and Resources
- Cleco Corp., BusinessWeek Company Insight Center, accessed July 2008.
- [American Legislative Exchange Council, 2011 Conference Sponsors, conference brochure on file with CMD, August 11, 2011]
- [American Legislative Exchange Council, 2011 Conference Receptions, conference brochure on file with CMD, August 11, 2011]
- Existing Electric Generating Units in the United States, 2005, Energy Information Administration, accessed April 2008.
- Environmental Integrity Project, Dirty Kilowatts: America’s Most Polluting Power Plants, July 2007.
- Dig Deeper, Carbon Monitoring for Action database, accessed June 2008.