Clifford M. Sobel was nominated May 23, 2006, by President George W. Bush to be Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States of America to the Federative Republic of Brazil. Previously, Sobel served as the United States ambassador to the Kingdom of the Netherlands beginning November 8, 2001.
Prior to this, Sobel served as Chairman of Net 2 Phone, Incorporated. Ambassador Sobel also currently serves as Chairman and President of SJJ Investment Corporation. Ambassador Sobel received his bachelor's degree from New York University. 
Mr. Sobel said in his statement as ambassador-designate to the Netherlands, before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee:
"I have worked extensively with public policy, not-for-profit institutions, serving on boards and chairing institutions such as: Lexington [i.e. Lexington Institute], Empower America, de Tocqueville [i.e. Alexis de Tocqueville Institution], and BENS (Business Executives for National Security) on issues that include international trade, immigration and national security." 
The following quote comes from Sobel's earlier U.S. Department of State biography:
"He was on the board of the Lexington Institute, a wide-ranging public policy think tank based in Arlington. Virginia, whose primary focuses are education reform, national security, deregulation, corporate governance and tax rate reduction. Prior to his service at The Lexington Institute, he served as Chairman of the Board Overseer of The Alexis de Tocqueville Institution, also a public policy think tank." 
In an article Mr. Sobel wrote for AdTI, he was described as:
- Clifford M. Sobel, Philip Peters, "Free Trade in the Americas: Stalled in Second Gear", Alexis de Tocqueville, June 18, 1996
- Clifford M. Sobel, U.S. Must Lead the Way in Providing Aid to Refugees, Colorado Springs Gazette, May 6, 1999
- The US Embassy - Ambassador Sobel
- Biography, Clifford M. Sobel, Department of State, January 8, 2002
- "The Bush Administrantion Embassy Row, Netherlands, Clifford Sobel, $299,700 to the GOP", Center for Responsive Politic
- "Path to embassies paved with donations", WhiteHouseForSale, August 07, 2003
Resources and articles
- Board, Millennium Promise, accessed April 7, 2011.