Coal Education Development and Resources
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
Coal Education Development and Resources states that it was formed in 1993 "through the joint efforts of the North Carolina Coal Institute (NCCI-The Coal Institute) and Coal Operators and Associates of Pikeville, Kentucky for the purpose of improving the image of the Coal Industry." CEDAR focussues its activities on the Appalachian mining communities of Kentucky, Virginia, and West Virginia.
CEDAR offers teachers booklets and DVDs produced by coal-burning utility AEP and mining giant Peabody Coal. One emphasizes how Kentucky has benefited from coal mine reclamation, with little mention of any negatives of strip mining. And on the issue of coal's carbon dioxide emissions, CEDAR offers teachers a video, titled "The Greening of Planet Earth" that asserts: "As more and more scientists are confirming, our world is deficient in carbon dioxide and a doubling of atmospheric CO2 is very beneficial."
P.O. Box 2152
Pikeville, Kentucky 41502
Articles and resources
- Coal Education Development and Resources, "Coal Education Development and Resources", CEDAR website, accessed May 2011.
- Jeff Young, "Scholastic distributed coal propaganda in schools" PRI's Living on Earth, May 16, 2011.
Related SourceWatch resources
- American Coal Foundation
- Coal Industry PR in Schools
- Coal industry front groups
- Clean Coal
- Clean Coal Marketing Campaign
- Mining industry
- National Mining Association
- U.S. coal industry lobbyists 2008