Coal plants cancelled in 2012
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Coal plants cancelled in 2007
- Coal plants cancelled in 2008
- Coal plants cancelled in 2009
- Coal plants cancelled in 2010
- Coal plants cancelled in 2011
- Coal plants cancelled in 2013
- What happened to the 151 proposed coal plants?
- US proposed coal plants - a list of all coal plant proposals by state
- Citizen groups working on coal issues - a list of grassroots groups actively working on coal plant proposals (350+ groups)
Plants cancelled, abandoned, or put on hold in 2012
In 2012, the following proposed coal plants were canceled, abandoned, or put on hold:
- Power Holdings Company plant: In 2006, Power Holdings Company announced plans to build a coal-to-liquids plant in Blissville Township, Illinois. The plant would convert approximately 5 million tons of local coal annually into synthetic natural gas, or syngas. In May 2012, developers of the plant confirmed that the project was not proceeding due to difficulty procuring funding. Developers cited "the current unprecedented low price for natural gas."
- Ben Hill Plant: On January 24, 2012, the Cobb Electric Membership Corporation (EMC) board of directors voted to stop funding the Power4Georgians proposed c Ben Hill Plant, in Central Georgia. On April 10, 2012, Power4Georgians agreed to cancel the Ben Hill Plant.
- Belwood Coal-to-Liquids - Mississippi
- Good Spring Plant - Pennsylvania (150 MW)
- Freeport Plant - Texas (400 MW)
- ConocoPhillips Sweeny Refinery Gasification - Texas
- Limestone 3 - Texas (744 MW)
- Port Comfort Repowering Project (petcoke project) - Texas (303 MW)
- Julie Wernau, "'Clean' coal plant on hold over low natural gas prices," Chicago Tribune, May 24, 2012
- "Decade-Long Georgia Coal Rush Almost Over: Utility Withdraws New Coal Financing, Following National Trend of Coal Losing Market Share to Clean Energy" Sierra Club, January 25, 2012.
- "Proposed Ben Hill Coal Plant Cancelled: Power4Georgians in Tenuous Position on Plant Washington After Legal Agreement," Sierra Club Press Release, April 10, 2012.