Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation
The Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation(CSF) is a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization founded in 1989. Originally name the Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus Foundation, CSF states its goal is to "provide scientific research, wildlife management, public education and conservation information." The foundation mainly focuses on supporting open space wildlife conservation, open space and hunting. It releases an annual report on the economic benefits of hunting.
The CSF allies with a number of other pro-hunting groups, including the Governors Sportmen's Caucus, the Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus, and the National Assembly of Sportsmen's Caucuses, to form what it calls a "unique and collective force." The Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus has over 250 members in the House and Senate.
The CSF is also represented on four federally chartered advisory councils that deal with recreational hunting and fishing: The Wildlife and Hunting Heritage Conservation Council, the Sport Fishing and Boating Partnership Council, the Marine Protected Area, and the Marine Fisheries Advisory Committee.
|Documents Contained at the Anti-Environmental Archives|
Documents written by or referencing this person or organization are contained in the Anti-Environmental Archive, launched by Greenpeace on Earth Day, 2015. The archive contains 3,500 documents, some 27,000 pages, covering 350 organizations and individuals. The current archive includes mainly documents collected in the late 1980s through the early 2000s by The Clearinghouse on Environmental Advocacy and Research (CLEAR), an organization that tracked the rise of the so called "Wise Use" movement in the 1990s during the Clinton presidency. Access the index to the Anti-Environmental Archives here.
According to its website, CSF works at both the state and federal levels "to protect and advance the interests of sportsmen in legislation that address sportsmen’s conservation issues such as hunting, recreational angling and shooting and trapping." However, the overlap between firearms and hunting leads CSF into the mix of pro-gun groups, such as the National Rifle Association (NRA). Much like the NRA, CSF opposes restrictions on high-capacity ammunition magazines, a ban on military-style AR-15 rifles and the imprinting of bullets with traceable serial numbers to help solve crimes, proposals that had surfaced in the legislative debate surrounding a failed bill to curb illegal gun trafficking in the wake of the tragedy at Sandy Hook elementary school.
The Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus, a CSF ally, regularly sponsors pro-gun legislation in Congress.
- "The sponsor and all 27 original co-sponsors of a 2005 bill that shielded the firearms industry from liability suits were caucus members. More than 100 members co-sponsored the Second Amendment Enforcement Act, which was aimed at rolling back gun control measures in Washington, D.C., but died in committee in 2011. Also in 2011, caucus members wrote amendments that would have prevented gun dealers from having to report customers who make multiple purchases of certain weapons in states bordering Mexico, and would have rolled back restrictions on imports of shotguns with tactical features like extended magazine tubes. The N.R.A. issued a statement praising the amendments’ authors."
- Bob Model, Boone & Crockett Club : Chairman
- Mark DeYoung, ATK: Vice-Chair
- Paul Miller, Tech Exec, Inc.: Treasurer
- Jeff Angers, Center for Coastal Conservation: Secretary
- Ben F. Carter
- Richard Childress
- Bruce Culpepper
- Brad Franklin
- John Green
- Christian Gullott
- Jason Hornady
- Tom Hornish
- Brian Kelly
- John Larkin
- Brian Linneman
- Walter "Wally" McLallen
- Thomas Millner: Honorary Member
- Jeanne Mitchell
- Phil Morlock: Honorary Member
- Kevin O'Donovan
- Jeff Paro
- Steve Sanetti
- Melissa Simpson
- Lindsay Thomas
- Cabela's Outdoor Fund
- National Shooting Sports FOundation
- Richard Childress Racing
- SCI: First for Hunters
- Sports South
- InterMedia Outdoors
- National Rifle Association
- Outdoor Channel
- America's Natural Gas Alliance
- Bass Pro Shops
- Boone and Crockett Club
- Dallas Safari Club
- National Association of Sporting Goods Wholesalers
- Olin Brass
- Reynolds American
- Sportsman Channel
- Winchester Ammunition
- WPX Energy
201 Pennsylvania Ave, SE, Suite 101
Washington, DC 20003
Email: csf AT sportsmenslink.org
Articles and References
- Mike McIntire, Charity Takes Gun Lobby Closer to Its Quarry, New York Times, March 6, 2013.
- Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation,Reports and Data, Organizational website, Accessed March 7, 2013.
- Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation, About, Organizational website, Accessed March 7, 2013.
- Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation, Policies, Organizational website, Accessed May 21, 2013.
- Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation, Board, Organizational website, Accessed March 7, 2013.
- Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation, Our Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation Partners, Organizational website, Accessed March 7, 2013.
- Contact, Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation, Accessed March 7, 2013