Context Institute was founded in 1979 by Robert Gilman and Diane Gilman, "who jointly provided the primary leadership for CI until Diane’s untimely death in 1998. Robert continues to provide CI’s primary direction. You can read Diane’s bio here and Robert’s bio here. To see what we’ve accomplished and who has been involved over the past 33 years, please take a look at the CI history timeline.
"Now, as we launch CI’s new phase, Robert is devoting full time to this work with the help and wise council of Lianna Gilman, a skilled editor and artist; Chris Thorsen, an organizational development consultant and Aikido teacher; Ann Medlock, Founder and Executive Director of the Giraffe Heroes Project; and Heather Ogilvy, a practicing psychologist. Robert, Lianna, Ann and Heather make up the CI Board of Trustees."
In 1983 Context Institute began publishing IN CONTEXT, A Quarterly of Humane Sustainable Culture.
- First issue includes article about Auroville 
- Second issue includes article by David Spangler 
- Issue 6 an article by Jean Houston 
- 1978 Winter issue is titled "USSR/USA: The Human Connection: Reports by soviet & american citizen diplomats"  
Resources and articles
- Context Institute Who we are, organizational web page, accessed June 24, 2013.