Davel coal project
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor and the Center for Media and Democracy.|
The Davel coal project is a possible South African coal project. It is located between Bethal and Ermelo, in the Msukaligwa Local Municipality in Mpumalanga province.
The map below shows the approximate location of the project. It is located between Bethal and Ermelo, in the Msukaligwa Local Municipality in Mpumalanga province.
In BHP Billiton's 2009 Annual Report, the company listed it as a possible underground mine producing thermal coal. It listed it as having a total resource of 267 million tonnes. BHP Billiton Energy Coal South Africa is BHP Billiton's wholly owned subsidiary which develops coal projects in South Africa.
In its 2014 annual report, BHP Billiton reported this project's "total resources" as 244 million tonnes.
BHP Billiton announced in its 2015 annual report that they were discontinuing this project, demerging it and, with a handful of other coal projects, rolling it into a new company called South32.
IOL Business Report stated in 2017 that Scinta South Africa bought the rights to Davel from South32. That same year, Mining Mx reported that Davel was expected to "deliver four million tonnes per year of export and domestic thermal coal" but that development wasn't "an immediate goal."
In March 2018, the South African Heritage Resources Agency (SAHRA) announced that an interim result from a Phase I heritage impact assessment reveals that "no heritage resources will be affected by the Davel Project." The report further mentions that "An application for an integrated water use licence for the proposed project will be submitted to the Department of Water and Sanitation. The next step is to compile a scoping, EIA/EMP report and water use licence application that will be submitted to I&AP’s for comments."
- Owner: Scinta South Africa
- Parent company:
- Location: Mpumalanga province.
- GPS coordinates: -26.460572, 29.733188 (approximate)
- Mine status: Proposed
- Start year:
- Mineable reserves: 400 million tonnes
- Coal type: Thermal
- Mine size:
- Mine type: Underground
- Additional proposed production:
- Number of employees:
Articles and resources
- The Davel Project, SAHRA website, accessed Nov. 2019.
- BHP Billiton, 2009 BHP Billiton Annual Report, BHP Billiton, September 2009, page 90.
- BHP Billiton Annual Report 2014, pp. 122-123, BHP Billiton website, accessed Oct. 2019.
- BHP Billiton Annual Report 2015, BHP Billiton website, accessed Oct. 2019.
- Scinta buys Davel mining right for R187m, IOL Business Report, 30 May 2017.
- Coal juniors Scinta, Canyon keep flag flying for SA mining investment, Miningmx, 3 Jul. 2017.
- Interim Comment Davel Project, 20 Mar. 2018, SAHRA website, accessed Nov. 2019.
- A PHASE I HERITAGE IMPACT ASSESSMENT STUDY FOR THE PROPOSED DAVEL PROJECT NEAR BETHAL IN THE MPUMALANGA PROVINCE OF SOUTH AFRICA, SAHRA website, accessed Nov. 2019.