David Axe is a freelance writer and photographer. Axe is a "military correspondent living in Washington, D.C. Since 2005 he has reported from Iraq, Lebanon, East Timor and Afghanistan. He is the military editor of D.C.-based Defense Technology International magazine and a regular contributor to Popular Science, The Washington Times, C-SPAN, Military.com and BBC Radio, among many others. His graphic novel war memoir WAR FIX made Amazon’s 2006 top ten list. ARMY 101, his nonfiction tale about Army ROTC, debuted in January 2007. He blogs alongside tech writer Noah Shachtman at WIRED's Blog Network Danger Room.
- Army 101: Inside ROTC in a Time of War, University of South Carolina Press, February 9, 2007, ISBN-10: 1570036608 / ISBN-13: 978-1570036606.
Articles by David Axe
- Archived articles at DefenseTech.org.
- Archived articles at Military.com.
- Archived articles at WorldPoliticsReview.
- "Sending In the Reserves. Stretched thin—and past the breaking point—with jittery Guard troops and reservists in Iraq," The Village Voice, March 15, 2005.
- "The Razor's Edge," The Village Voice (Truthout), July 5, 2005.
- "Temperatures Rise. Power, water, planning—and the lack thereof—in southern Iraq," The Village Voice, August 23, 2005.
- "Robbing the Poor. Business as usual in Iraq's centralized economy," The Village Voice, September 1, 2005.
- "Good Cop, Bad Cop. The state of the Iraqi police," The Village Voice, September 23, 2005.
- "Powerless. Iraq's troubled police bow to party and tribe," The Village Voice, September 30, 2005.
- "Selling Kurdistan. With the rest of Iraq descending into civil war, Kurds hard-sell their state within a state," The Village Voice, December 20, 2005.
- "'They Burn Themselves'. Kurdish women's advocates struggle against tradition in the world's oldest city," The Village Voice, January 10, 2006.
- "Fear and loathing in Baghdad. For the few Western reporters left in Iraq, Jill Carroll's kidnapping is their worst nightmare," Salon, January 20, 2006.
- "Lies My Leaders Told Me," Danger Room Blog/WIRED, May 31, 2007.
Email: david_axe AT hotmail.com
Related SourceWatch articles
- Paul McLeary, "David Axe on Why They Do It. The freelance reporter talks about working in Iraq and his new graphic novel based on his experiences," Columbia Journalism Review, June 9, 2006.
- Grim, "Blogger Roundtable on Iraqi Kurdistan," BlackFive Blog, June 1, 2007.
- Ken Silverstein, "Dissent from the Pentagon’s Blogger Roundtables: David Axe has second thoughts about DoD effort," Harper's Magazine, August 13, 2007.