Dawson McCarthy Nelson Media
Dawson McCarthy Nelson Media LLC (DMN Media) was founded in February 2001 by Terry Nelson, who joined with Sam Dawson, a senior consultant to the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) in 2000, and Patrick J. McCarthy, Jr., of National Media, Inc., as partners. DMN Media is a Washington, D.C.-based Republican "communication and advertising firm that specializes in developing strategy, messages, and advertising for political candidates."
Note that District of Columbia corporate records do not show DMN Media as a registered entity.
In 2001, DMN Media was located at 1020 North Fairfax, Suite 320, Alexandria, Virginia. According to the Virginia State Corporations data base, the Virginia registration for DMN Media was cancelled in December 2002.
Archived bios for Nelson, Dawson, and McCarthy have been posted on their individual pages.
"Past and Present Clients" listed for DMN Media in 2001 included:
- Speaker Newt Gingrich
- Senator Rod Grams, MN
- Governor Jim Edwards, SC
- Congressman Don Sherwood, PA
- Congressman Mike Ferguson, NJ
- Congressman Ed Schrock, VA
- Bush/Cheney 2000
- National Republican Senatorial Committee
- National Republican Congressional Committee
- Republican Party of Minnesota
- Minnesota House Republican Caucus
- Visa U.S.A.
- Americans for Job Security
- Americans for Consumer Education and Competition
- 2007-2008 election cycle: John McCain 2008 Inc.
- 2005-2006 election cycle: National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) paid DMN Media more than $230,000 for "Generic Political Consultant Fees".
- 2003-2004 election cycle: DMN Media received more than $1.4 million from a number of clients, including $608,571 from the NRCC.
- 2004: U.S. Chamber of Commerce paid DMN Media to produce ads supporting Jim DeMint (R-S.C.).
- 2001-2002 election cycle: Republican National Committee (RNC) paid DMN Media $1 million for "Production Cost"; $67,000 for "Radio Cost"; and $100,000 for "Research Cost".
- Sam Dawson, partner
- Patrick J. McCarthy, Jr., partner DMN Media; principal, Upgrade Films
- Terry Nelson, partner
- Randall Skoglund, independent contractor (2002)
- In the third quarter of 2006, Upgrade Films received more than $40,000 from the National Republican Congressional Committee for the 2006 campaign in Minnesota's 6th Congressional District.
- In the third quarter of 2006, Upgrade Films received $6,000 from the All Children Matter-Iowa PAC.
Strategic Media Services
WHOIS reports that the administrative contact for the DMNMEDIA.COM domain name is Andrew Finnan at 1023 31st Street, NW, Fourth Floor, Washington, DC 20007, DMN Media's office address. The technical contact is XO Communications at CNCHOST.COM. DMNMEDIA.COM displays as under construction.
A DNS search for DMNMEDIA.COM shows the domain interactive with a number of mail and name servers.
Related SourceWatch articles
- Crosslink Strategy Group
- U.S. congressional elections in 2006
- U.S. presidential election, 2004
- U.S. presidential election, 2008
- DMN Media cannot be identified as a registered lobbying firm.
- Campaign Contribution Search: Sam Dawson, Dawson McCarthy Nelson Media, NewsMeat. Contributions in 2007 include $2,300 to John E. Sununu (R-N.H.) for primary. The next most recent campaign contribution was $1,000 in 2003 to Norm Coleman (R-Minn.).
- Dawson cannot be identified as a registered lobbyist.
- Jonathan E. Kaplan and Patrick O'Connor, "DeLay team builds a new war room," The Hill, April 2005.
- McCarthy cannot be idenfied as a registered lobbyist.
- "People & Organizations," Campaigns & Elections, June 2001.
- News Release: Findings in the Matter of a Complaint Regarding Tim Pawlenty for Governor Campaign and the Republican Party of Minnesota, State of Minnesota, Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board, October 2002.
- Registered Organization Search: Dawson, District of Columbia, October 15, 2007; Thanks to Daily Kos poster citizen92 for the research on DC corporate records.
- DMNMedia.com via the Wayback Machine, November 2001.
- Office of the Clerk, Virginia State Corporation Commission.
- Clients, DMNMedia.com, August 2002.
- ACEC shares the same mailing address as DMNM.
- Disbursements: John McCain 2008 Inc., Federal Election Commission.
- Expenditure Details: National Republican Congressional Committee to Dawson McCarthy Nelson Media LLC, OpenSecrets.org.
- Consultants (2003-2004 election cycle): Dawson McCarthy Nelson Media, Center for Public Integrity.
- Agent: Dawson McCarthy Nelson Media, StealthPacs.org.
- Expenditure Details: Republican National Committee to Dawson McCarthy Nelson Media LLC, OpenSecrets.org.
- See current Google search for "Upgrade Films".
- "NRCC: two last expenditures in the 6th District," NRCC, November 7, 2006.
- Reports: Expenditures: All Children Matter-Iowa, State of Iowa.
- StrategicMediaServices.com. See contact info at the bottom of the page.
- DNS search DMNMEDIA.COM, Robtex.com, October 15, 2007.
- Glen Justice, "A New Target for Advisers to Swift Vets," New York Times (Common Dreams), February 21, 2005.
- Chris Barge, "O'Donnell ad asks voters for forgiveness. Says he wrote attack on Social Security as 'know-it-all kid'," Rocky Mountain News, September 22, 2006.
- Richard Wolffe, "In Rove's Footsteps. They learned from the master, and are applying the lessons in the hottest races ahead. Meet the architect's protégés," Newsweek (MSNBC), October 2, 2006.