Dominion Terminal, also known as the DTA Terminal, is a coal export terminal in the port of Hampton Roads at Newport News, Virginia.
The terminal is located at the Port of Hampton Roads, on the East Bank of the James River in Newport News, Virginia.
- Owner: Dominion Terminal Associates (65% Contura Energy, 35% Arch Coal)
- Location: Newport News, Virginia
- Capacity (Million tonnes per annum): 22
- Status: Operating
- Start year: 1984
- Type: Exports
The terminal was constructed in 1984 and held in a partnership called Dominion Terminal Associates, made up of subsidiaries Arch Coal, Peabody Energy and Alpha Natural Resources. In 2011 the reported capacity was 18 million tonnes a year.
In August 2015, Alpha and its 150 affiliates voluntarily filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy for restructuring. As part of that process, Dominion Terminal and a group of mines in Pennsylvania, Wyoming, Virginia and West Virginia were sold to a new company, Contura Energy, that was formed by the first lien lenders.
On January 12, 2017, Peabody Energy filed a motion with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, requesting approval of bidding procedures for the sale of its ownership stake in the DTA facility as part of its ongoing Chapter 11 restructuring. That order was approved by the Court on January 30, 2017, and an auction was held for the asset on March 6, 2017. After the auction, Contura held 65% of Dominion, and Arch Coal the remaining 35%. The terminal was reported to have twenty-two million tons per year of overall capacity and 1.7 million tons of total coal ground storage. 
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- China and coal
- Coal exports from northwest United States ports
- Millennium Bulk Logistics Longview Terminal
- Port of St. Helens
- Washington (state) and coal
- Wyoming and coal
- Powder River Basin
- U.S. coal exports
- Coal terminals
- Alpha Natural Resources, "Form 10-K Annual Report", U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, February 25, 2011, page 18. (Pdf)
- "About our company," Alpha Natural Resources, accessed March 2018
- "Contura Increases Export Capacity Through Strategic DTA Ownership Transaction," Contura Energy, March 7, 2017