East Bay Municipal Utility District
The East Bay Municipal Utility District provides drinking water and wastewater collection and treatment to the communities of the East Bay in northern California's Bay Area. EBMUD is a principle member of Bay Area Clean Water Agencies.
Involvement in San Francisco Sludge Controversy
In April 2010, EBMUD sent a letter of support to the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission in favor of its sewage sludge compost giveaway program. In the letter, EBMUD said "Biosolids composting provides an effective and safe approach to reusing a valuable resource with local community benefits."
The large area served by EBMUD is divided into seven wards, each represented by one member of the Board of Directors:
- Ward No. 1: Crockett, Hercules, Rodeo, and San Pablo, plus portions of Richmond and Pinole.
- Ward No. 2: Blackhawk, Diablo, Lafayette, Alamo, Danville, plus portions of Pleasant Hill, San Ramon, and Walnut Creek.
- Ward No. 3: Piedmont, Orinda, Moraga, El Sobrante, plus portions of Oakland, Pinole, and Richmond.
- Ward No. 4: Albany, Berkeley, Emeryville, El Cerrito, and Kensington, plus a portion of Oakland.
- Ward No. 5: Alameda, San Lorenzo, West Oakland, the Oakland Airport area, and a portion of San Leandro.
- Ward No. 6: Portions of Oakland (East Oakland and south of Park Blvd/5th Avenue) to the San Leandro boundary.
- Ward No. 7: Castro Valley and portions of San Leandro, Hayward, and San Ramon.
Members of the board are as follows:
- President: Doug Linney
- Vice President: John A. Coleman
- Katy Foulkes
- Andy Katz
- Lesa R. McIntosh
- Frank Mellon
- William B. Patterson
- East Bay Municipal Utility District
- 375 11th Street
- Oakland, CA 94607
- Mailing Address: P.O. Box 24055, Oakland, CA 94623
- Phone: 1-866-40-EBMUD (1-866-403-2683)
- Web: http://www.ebmud.com
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|