Edward P. Djerejian
Edward P. Djerejian
"Ambassador Djerejian is the founding Director of the James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy at Rice University. His career in public service has spanned the administrations of U.S. Presidents Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush and William J. Clinton. During the Reagan Administration, he served as Deputy Assistant Secretary of Near Eastern and South Asian Affairs, as Deputy Chief of the U.S. mission to the Kingdom of Jordan and as Special Assistant to the President and Deputy Press Secretary for Foreign Affairs in the White House. He served as the U.S. Ambassador to the Syrian Arab Republic from 1988 to 1991 under Presidents Reagan and Bush, and then served Presidents Bush and Clinton as Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern affairs from 1991 to 1993. President Clinton named him U.S. Ambassador to Israel in 1993. Ambassador Djerejian was a Senior Advisor to the Iraq Study Group, a bipartisan panel mandated by the Congress to assess the current and prospective situation in Iraq in 2006. Ambassador Djerejian is a director of Baker Hughes, Inc., where he is a member of the governance and compensation committees, and Global Industries, Ltd, where he is Chairman of the Governance Committee.
"Qualifications: Ambassador Djerejian is a leading expert on the complex political, security, economic, religious and ethnic issues of the Middle East. His experience brings valuable insight that enhances the Board's ability to assess operations and business opportunities in the company’s important Middle East/North Africa region. Throughout his career, he has developed an in-depth knowledge of the political and economic landscape in the United States and in the Middle East, and expertise in foreign policy, geopolitics of energy and corporate governance. He serves on several public and nonprofit boards." 
- Trustee, Carnegie Corporation 
- National Advisory Council, U.S. Interreligious Committee for Peace in the Middle East
- Trustee, Eurasia Foundation
- Honorary Trustee, Physicians for Peace
- Director, Occidental Petroleum
- Chair, Advisory Group on Public Diplomacy for the Arab and Muslim World 
Resources and articles
- Directors, Occidental Petroleum, accessed May 13, 2010.
- Trustees, Carnegie Corporation, accessed March 5, 2023.
- New Strategic Direction Urged for Public Diplomacy, iwar.org.uk, accessed January 21, 2011.