Edward S. Herman is an emeritus professor of Economics at the Wharton School, Univ. of Pennsylvania. He is a longtime writer for Z Magazine and Znet, where for years he debunked state propaganda about the war-du-jour waged by the United States. One of his most important contributions is his explanation of the extant propaganda in the Western world in general, the United States in particular. His research culminated in the publication of Manufacturing Consent (co-written with Noam Chomsky) In this book an influential theory of propaganda is proposed, which they referred to as the Propaganda Model.
- Demonstration elections
- Release of forged documents, discussion of a propaganda technique
- Propaganda defined for SourceWatch purposes (subset of Chomsky/Herman model)
Books and articles by Herman (date order)
- Noam Chomsky and Edward Herman, The Washigton Connection and Third World Fascism, The Political Economy of Human Rights: Volume 1, South End Press, 1979.
- Noam Chomsky and Edward Herman, After the Cataclysm: Postwar Indochina & the Reconstruction of Imperial Ideology, The Political Economy of Human Rights: Volume 2, South End Press, 1979.
- Edward Herman, Corporate Control, Corporate Power', Cambridge University Press, 1981. ("A Twentieth Century Fund study.")
- Edward S. Herman and Frank Brodhead, Demonstration Elections: U.S.-staged elections in the Dominican Republic, Vietnam, and El Salvador, South End Press, 1984
- Edward Herman and Noam Chomsky, Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media, Parthenon, 1988.
- William Preston, Jr., Edward S. Herman, Herbert I. Schiller, Hope & Folly: The United States and UNESCO 1945-1985, Univ. of Minnesota Press, 1989.
- Edward Herman, Beyond Hypocrisy: Decoding the News in an Age of Propaganda, South End Press, 1992.
- Edward Herman and David Peterson, The Politics of Genocide (Monthly Review, Forthcoming).
- Edward Herman, "Disinformation as News Fit to Print: LeMoyne and the Times on the Murder of Herbert Anaya", Covert Action Information Bulletin, No. 31, Winter 1989, pp. 65 – 69.
- Edward Herman, "Beyond Doublespeak: Iraq and Israel", Z Magazine, June 2004.
- Edward S. Herman and David Peterson, "The Dismantling of Yugoslavia: A Study in Inhumanitarian Intervention (and a Western Liberal-Left Intellectual and Moral Collapse)", Monthly Review, 59 (5), 2007.
- Many other article
Media Reform Articles
- Edward Herman, "The Importance of a Left Media", Znet, July 5, 1999.
- Edward Herman, "Media Democratization", Znet, April 16, 2003.