El Segundo mine
- Owner: Peabody Energy
- Location: north of Grants, New Mexico
- GPS coordinates: 35.10 N, 107.51 W
- Annual Production: 6 million tons
- Type of coal:
- Mine type: surface (open pit)
- Number of employees: 100
The mine is expected to produce 6 million tons of coal annually and serves a 19-year, 65 million ton supply agreement with Arizona Public Service Company’s Cholla Power Plant near Joseph City, Arizona.
Sale of the mine to Bowie Resources
In November 2015 Bowie Resources agreed to pay US$358 million to Peabody Energy for the Twentymile Mine outside Steamboat Springs and the El Segundo mine and Lee Ranch mine in New Mexico. Bowie also will assume about $105 million in related liabilities under the sale.
- "Peabody Energy commissions first new coal mine in New Mexico in 20 years", High Beam Research, August 2008.
- Dennis Webb, "Struggling Bowie buys three mines in 2 states ," Sentinel, November 24, 2015
Related SourceWatch articles
- U.S. coal politics
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- New Mexico and coal
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- Peabody Western Coal Company Southwest Operations, Peabody Energy website