Encounter Books is a publisher of conservative books. It describes itself as "an activity of Encounter for Culture and Education, a tax-exempt, non-profit corporation dedicated to strengthening the marketplace of ideas and engaging in educational activities to help preserve democratic culture."
CMD revealed in 2017 that the Bradley Foundation has given $19.47 million in grants to the media firm called “Encounter for Culture and Education” which publishes and houses Encounter Books, which Bradley helped found in 1998. (more below.)
- 1 Ties to the Bradley Foundation
- 2 Books Published by Encounter
- 3 Funding
- 4 Personnel
- 5 Contact Information
- 6 Articles and resources
- 7 References
Ties to the Bradley Foundation
CMD's 2017 exposé on the Milwaukee-based Bradley Foundation revealed that the foundation has given $19.47 million in grants to the media firm called Encounter for Culture and Education, which publishes and houses Encounter Books. Bradley helped found Encounter in 1998. From the exposé,
- A report on Encounter Books in the Bradley documents from July 2015 by former Board Member and Bradley Prize recipient George Will details Bradley’s aim in investing millions in Encounter. The goal is "not only to provide an independent means to support books and authors whose work contributed to the educational mission of the Foundation," but also "to foster an institution whose energies could help promote the values of democratic capitalism, ordered liberty, and individual responsibility" (Report on Encounter Books, July 2015).
- "Bradley has been the central force in enabling Encounter to become America’s premier publisher of serious conservative non-fiction," wrote Roger Kimball, current publisher of Encounter, in a letter to the Bradley Foundation in 2016.
- [. . .]
- Kimball is a strong partner in Bradley’s effort to advance a new, right-wing version of American history and culture. Between 1986 and 2015, Bradley has also given over $5.1 million to the Foundation for Cultural Review specifically to support The New Criterion edited and published by Kimball (FCR, Grant Proposal Record, 7/20/16). The New Criterion touts itself as a monthly review of arts and intellectual life “on the front lines of the battle for culture.”
Roger Kimball One of Three 2019 Bradley Prize Winners
In 2019, Encounter's president and publisher, Roger Kimball, was one of three recipients of that year's Bradley Prize. In a related press release, Bradley Foundation CEO and President Rick Graber wrote, "Roger's commitment to advancing liberty and preserving democratic culture as an author, editor and publisher, is truly exceptional. The Bradley Foundation is proud to honor him fro his remarkable contributions, which have informed important debate on art and intellectual life and have fostered the ideals of a free society."
In 2017, the Center for Media and Democracy (CMD), publishers of SourceWatch, launched a series of articles on the Milwaukee-based Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, exposing the inner-workings of one of America's largest right-wing foundations. 56,000 previously undisclosed documents laid bare the Bradley Foundation's highly politicized agenda. CMD detailed Bradley's efforts to map and measure right wing infrastructure nationwide, including by dismantling and defunding unions to impact state elections; bankrolling discredited spin doctor Richard Berman and his many front groups; and more.
Books Published by Encounter
Early 2020 Bestsellers
As of February 2020, Encounter's website contained a list of bestsellers, including:
- Ryan T. Anderson (Heritage Foundation Senior Fellow), When Harry Became Sally: Responding to the Transgender Moment (2019)
- Bill Gertz (Washington Times national security columnist; The Washington Free Beacon senior editor), Deceiving the Sky: Inside Communist China's Drive for Global Supremacy (2019)
- Andrew C. McCarthy (National Review senior editor), Ball of Collusion: The Plot to Rig an Election and Destroy a Presidency (2019)
- Wildred M. Mcclay, Land of Hope: An Invitation to the Great American Story (2019)
- Oren Cass (Manhattan Institute Senior Fellow), The Once and Future Worker: A Vision for the Renewal of Work in America (2018)
- Joseph Tartakovsky, The Lives of the Constitution: Ten Exceptional Minds that Shaped America's Supreme Law (2018)
- KC Johnson & Stuart Taylor, Jr., The Campus Rape Frenzy: The Attack on Due Process at America's Universities (2017)
- Jay Nordlinger (National Review senior editor), Children of Monsters: An Inquiry into the Sons and Daughters of Dictators (2017)
- Michael Walsh, The Devil's Pleasure Palace: The Cult of Critical Theory and the Subversion of the West (2017)
- Heather MacDonald, The War on Cops: How the New Attack on Law and Order Makes Everyone Less Safe (2016)
Encounter has published books by:
- Kate Coleman, The Secret Wars of Judi Bari: A Car Bomb, the Fight for the Redwoods, and the End of Earth First!, January 2005. ISBN 1893554740
- Michael Fumento, Bio-Evolution: How Biotechnology Is Changing Our World, Encounter Books, October 2003.
- Jessica Gavora, Tilting the playing field... her book was funded by the John M. Olin Foundation (citation needed)
- David Horowitz and Peter Collier, The Anti-Chomsky Reader;
- Frederick Kagan, Finding the Target: The Transformation of American Military Policy (2006)
- Robert Kagan and William Kristol, Present Dangers: Crisis and Opportunity in American Foreign and Defense Policy (2000)
- Myron Magnet, Manhattan Institute - The Dream and the Nightmare: The Sixties' Legacy to the Underclass (1999)
- Melanie Phillips, British columnist - The World Turned Upside Down: The Global Battle over God, Truth and Power (2010), Londonistan (2007)
- Ronald Radosh Commies: A Journey Through the Old Left, the New Left and the Leftover Left; and
- Debra Saunders The Hillary Trap and The World According to Gore
- Wesley J. Smith, A Rat is a Pig is a Dog is a Boy: The Human Costs of the Animal Rights Movement (2010), Culture of Death: The Assault on Medical Ethics in America (2001).
- Roy W. Spencer, The Great Global Warming Blunder (2010), The Bad Science and Bad Policy of Obama's Global Warming Agenda (2010), Climate Confusion (2008)
- Peter W. Wood, president of the National Association of Scholars- Diversity: The Invention of a Concept (2002), A Bee in the Mouth: Anger in America Now (2006)
Encounter for Culture and Education's funders include:
Bradley targeted donations between 2014-2019 as follows:
- 2019, $1,000,000 for Encounter Books; $50,000 for the Jeane Kirkpatrick/Encounter Awards and events
- 2018, $1,000,000 for Encounter Books
- 2017, $1,100,000 for Encounter Books; $20,000 for The Jeane Kirkpatrick Award and dinner
- 2016, $1,000,000 for Encounter Books
- 2015, $1,000,000 for Encounter Books
- 2014, $1,000,000 for Encounter Books; $275,000 for marketing and publicity
- Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation: $395,000 (2012-2017)
- Thomas W. Smith Foundation gave $450,000.
- Manhattan Institute for Policy Research gave $315,000.
- Dian Graves Owen Foundation gave $130,000.
- Searle Freedom Trust gave $112,000.
- John R. McCune Charitable Trust gave $75,000.
- JM Foundation gave $75,000.
- Achelis and Bodman Foundations gave $50,000.
- Mercer Family Foundation gave $50,000.
- Institute for Justice gave $45,000.
- Foundation for Cultural Review gave $44,500.
- JM Humphreys Foundation gave $40,000.
- Hickory Foundation gave $35,000.
- Judicial Education Project gave $30,000.
- The New Criterion gave $25,000.
- Donors Trust gave $22,500.
- New York Law School gave $20,000.
- Crow Holdings Pool LLC gave $20,000.
- Chiarusco Institute Inc. gave $20,000.
- Center for the Study of Technology and Society Inc. gave $18,000.
- Dodge Jones Foundation gave $15,000.
- Diana Davis Spencer Foundation gave $15,000.
- Bradley Impact Fund gave $10,048.
- Ethelmae Humphreys gave $10,000.
- Gale Foundation gave $10,000.
- Claremont Institute for the Study of Statesmanship and Political Philosophy gave $7,500.
- Frederic H Clark gave $5,000.
As of February 2020
- Roger Kimball, Editor and Publisher (replaced Peter Collier in 2005)
- Nola Tully, Executive Director of Operations
- Sam Schneider, Director of Marketing
- Lauren Miklos, Director of Publicity
- Amanda Dematto, Director of Production
- Victoria Acevedo, Operations Manager
- Mary Spencer
900 Broadway, Suite 601
New York, NY 10003
Toll free: 800-786-3839
Email: read AT encounterbooks.com
Formerly in San Francisco
Former address, when Peter Collier was editor through ~2005 was:
- c/o Richard S. Gallagher
- 665 Third St Ste 330, San Francisco
Articles and resources
- Achelis and Bodman Foundations
- Bradley Impact Fund
- Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation
- Claremont Institute for the Study of Statesmanship and Political Philosophy
- David Horowitz
- David V. Uihlein, Jr.
- Debra J. Saunders
- Encounter for Culture and Education
- Ethelmae Humphreys
- Frederick Kagan
- George Will
- Heather MacDonald
- Heritage Foundation
- Institute for Justice
- James Piereson
- JM Foundation
- John M. Olin Foundation
- Kate Coleman
- Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation
- Manhattan Institute for Policy Research
- Mercer Family Foundation
- Michael Fumento
- Myron Magnet
- National Association of Scholars
- National Review
- Peter Collier
- Peter W. Wood
- Philip M. McKenna Foundation
- Robert Kagan
- Roger Kimball
- Ronald Radosh
- Roy Spencer
- Searle Freedom Trust
- Shelby Cullom Davis Foundation
- Shelby Steele
- The Washington Free Beacon
- Thomas W. Smith
- Washington Times
- Wesley J. Smith
- William E. Simon Foundation
- William Kristol
- Media Transparency, "Encounter for Culture and Education, Inc", undated, accessed December 2004.
- The Bradley Foundation, "2003 Grants Awarded: Intellectual Infrastructure", 2003.
- Bill Berkowitz, "Kate Coleman and Encounter Books take on Bari, Earth First!, and the 'dead-enders' of the environmental movement", DissidentVoice, March 10, 2005.
- The Nation, "The 'Right' Books and Big Ideas, by Eric Alterman, published November 22, 1999, accessed December 2004.
- Mike Sweeney, "The Right Wing Attacks Judi Bari", undated, accessed December 2004.
- Encounter Books, About, publisher website, accessed February 9, 2020.
- David Armiak, "Bradley Foundation Funds Right Wing Media Machine", Exposed by CMD,May 31, 2017, accessed February 9, 2020.
- Bradley Foundation, [https://www.bradleyfdn.org/roger-kimball-2019-bradley-prize-winner 2019 Bradley Prize Winner], nonprofit website, accessed February 24, 2020.
- Bradley Foundation, Roger Kimball,Prominent Writer, Editor, and Publisher,Selected as a 2019 Bradley Prize Winner", press release, April 1, 2019, accessed February 24, 2020.
- Encounter Books, Bestsellers Archives, publisher website, accessed February 9, 2020.
- Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, Recent Grants, foundation website, accessed February 9, 2020.
- Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, Archived Grants, foundation website, accessed February 9, 2020.
- Conservative Transparency, 5 results for 'encounter', database website, accessed February 9, 2020.
- Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, 2017 Annual Report, annual report, accessed February 9, 2020.
- Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, 2016 Annual Report, annual report, accessed February 9, 2020.
- Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, 2015 Annual Report, annual report, accessed February 9, 2020.
- Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, 2014 Annual Report, annual report, accessed February 9, 2020.
- Encounter for Culture and Education, 2017 IRS Form 990, organizational tax filing, accessed March 18, 2020.
- Encounter for Culture and Education, 2016 IRS Form 990, organizational tax filing, accessed March 18, 2020.
- Encounter for Culture and Education, 2015 IRS Form 990, organizational tax filing, accessed March 18, 2020.
- Encounter for Culture and Education, 2014 IRS Form 990, organizational tax filing, accessed March 18, 2020.
- Encounter for Culture and Education, 2013 IRS Form 990, organizational tax filing, accessed March 18, 2020.
- Encounter Books, About, publisher website, accessed February 12, 2020.