Foundation for Biomedical Research
This article is part of the Center for Media & Democracy's spotlight on front groups and corporate spin.
The Foundation for Biomedical Research (FBR) is a front group founded by longtime Washington lobbyist Frankie Trull, president and founder of Policy Directions Inc. a public relations firm and lobby for the animal testing, animal breeding, pharmaceutical, agribusiness and processed food industries, as well as universities and institutions receiving government grants for animal research. ,  Policy Directions advocates for FBR and the National Association for Biomedical Research (NABR), an industry association. Ms. Trull is president and founder of all three groups.  All are located at 818 Connecticut Avenue in Washington DC., with FBR operating from the same office as NABR. (Policy Directions Inc. office is on the same floor but in a different room).
FBR was established in 1981 and is self described as the "nation's oldest and largest organization" promoting animal research. According to its website, it is the "leading voice of scientific reason and medical progress" in the "sometimes violent debate" surrounding animal testing. FBR also "monitors and analyzes the activities of animal activists" through its "illegal incidents" report." FBR is listed as a charitable organization under IRS code 501(c)(3).
On its website it states that its mission is "to educate the public about the essential role of humane animal research in the quest for medical advancements, treatments and cures for both humans and animals." The footer on its website proclaims "Animal Research Saves Lives!"
On its website FBR states that it "receives no government funding and relies exclusively on private contributors to underwrite its programs and services." However, it does not state who does fund it.
The vivisection "debate"
See also animal testing, section 6 on vivisection debate.
On its website, FBR states that its "board of governors includes 10 Nobel laureates, 11 Lasker Award winners, 18 members of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 16 fellows of the National Academy of Sciences, a former US surgeon general, and a former Cabinet secretary." However, other than the details on Trull, the website provides no details on who they are.
Foundation for Biomedical Research
818 Connecticut Avenue NW
Washington DC 20006
Phone: 202 457-0654
Web address: http://www.fbresearch.org/
Articles and sources
- Animal activists who have been injured or killed
- Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act
- Animal testing
- Conservatives target the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
- Criminalising civil disobedience
- Humane Movement
- Intimidating public interest groups
- NABR & the Animal Welfare Act
- National Institutes of Health
- Pharmaceutical industry
- U.S. Government's War on Animals
- About, Policy Directions Inc., accessed September 2009
- Clients, Policy Directions Inc., accessed September 2009
- Professionals: Frankie L. Trull, President and CEO, Policy Directions Inc., accessed September 2009
- About, Foundation for Biomedical Research, accessed September 2009
- "Illegal Incidents", Foundation for Biomedical Research, accessed September 2009
- "Mission Statement", Foundation for Biomedical Research, accessed September 2009
- FBR Board and President, Foundation for Biomedical Research, accessed September 2009
- "FBR Board and President", Foundation for Biomedical Research, accessed September 2009