|This article is part of or related|
to the LM group series:
Frank Furedi is professor of sociology at the University of Kent at Canterbury, UK. He was, while using pseudonym Frank Richards, the founder and chairman of the Revolutionary Communist Party (RCP) of Great Britain. The RCP has traversed one of the longest ideological journeys in British politics, moving from the hard-left through several incarnations into a broad collection of organisations on the libertarian right wing, including Spiked Online and the Institute of Ideas. Furedi continues to be a leading figure in this network of organisations, characterised by a vigorous anti-environmentalist, pro-GM stance, known as the LM group.
Aside from his academic work, he is freqently quoted in the media as an expert on how our society has become obsessed with risk. He writes regularly for Spiked online, and has written several books on the subject, with titles such as Paranoid Parenting, Therapy Culture, and Culture of Fear. He wrote an article about risk culture post September 11, one of only two papers published by Global Futures.
Furedi has also written under the name of Linda Ryan . He was born in Hungary in 1948. His family emigrated to Canada after the failed 1956 uprising and has lived in Britain since the 1970s.
Publications By Furedi
- Frank Furedi, "Soviet Union Demystified: A Materialist Analysis", Junius Pubns., 1986
- Frank Furedi, "Past - Elusive Future: History and Society in an Anxious Age", Pluto Press, 1991
- Frank Furedi, "Culture of Fear: Risk-taking and the Morality of Low Expectation", Continuum International Publishing Group - Academi, 1997
- Frank Furedi, "The Silent War: Imperialism and the Changing Perception of Race", Pluto Press, 1998
- Frank Furedi, "Paranoid Parenting: Why Ignoring the Experts May Be Best for Your Child", A Cappella Publishing, 2002
- Frank Furedi "Culture of Fear: Risk Taking and the Morality of Low Expectation", Continuum International Publishing Group - Academi, 2002
- Frank Furedi, "Therapy Culture: Cultivating Vulnerability in an Uncertain Age", Routledge, 2003
- Frank Furedi, "Where Have All the Intellectuals Gone?: Confronting 21st Century Philistinism", Continuum International Publishing Group - Academi, 2004
Interview With Furedi
- Michael Duffy interviews Frank Furedi, "Paranoid Parenting", Counterpoint, Australian Broadcasting Corporation, February 21, 2005.
- George Monbiot, "Far Left of Far Right?", Prospect Magazine, November 1998.
- Living Marxism profile, GM Watch, accessed Dec 2003.
- David Pallister, John Vidal and Kevin Maguire, "Life after Living Marxism: Banning the bans", The Guardian, July 8, 2000.
- George Monbiot, "Invasion of the Entryists", The Guardian, December 9, 2003.
- ReadySteadyBook.com, Frank Furedi interview, accessed 25 October 2004
- Maureen Freely and Martin Bright, Review of "Paranoid Parenting", The Observer, 11 March 2001.
- Andy Rowell, "LobbyWatch: SMC complaint", April 2007. (This is an edited version of a submission made by Andy Rowell to the board of the Science Media Centre).
- "Interview with Monbiot on the LM group", Lobbywatch, April 11, 2007. (This interview was undertaken some time earlier than the publication date).
- Brendan O’Neill, "'Humanising politics – that is my only agenda'", Spiked Online, April 25, 2007.
- Powerbase Frank Furedi