Gareth was appointed as an independent non-executive director and Chairman of Ninety One plc "on 19 November 2019. He is chairman of Norilsk Nickel, or Nornickel, Russia’s largest diversified mining and metals company listed on the Moscow Exchange. Gareth was previously chairman of the Edcon Group, a private fashion retailer in southern Africa, and served as a non-executive director and Remuneration Committee chairman of the Julius Bär Group. For 22 years, he was with De Beers and Anglo American, the last five of which he was group chief executive officer of De Beers. In 2016, Gareth was awarded Russian Chairman of the Year, with reference to his contribution to improvements in corporate governance. " 
Gareth Penny is the former CEO of the De Beers Group. "Apointed after the retirement of Gerard Ralfe in February 2006.
"Mr. Penny began his career with Anglo American where he was responsible for the Anglo American and De Beers Small Business Initiative.
"He then joined Debswana as Project Manager for the construction and start-up phase of Teemane Manufacturing Company (now Diarough), a diamond cutting factory in Botswana.
"He then moved to the DTC Sales Department in London before returning to Johannesburg to take up the position of Personal Assistant to the Chairman of De Beers and the Anglo American Corporation.
"In April 1996 Mr. Penny was promoted to the position of Diamond Consultant for Southern Africa, responsible for the sales of rough diamonds to the South African cutting industry.
"In January 1999 he was appointed Manager in charge of the De Beers Strategic Review after which, in 2001, he became the Director in charge of DTC sales and marketing activities, based in London,.
"Diocesan college (Bishop); Eaton college (Cape Town); Oxford, Rhodes scholar, Master of Arts in philosophy, politics and economics, 1984.
- 2004 - 2006 – Managing Director of Diamond Trading Company – marketing branch of De Beers.
- 2006 – 2010 – General Director of De Beers Group.
- 2011 – 2012 – General Director of AMG Mining.
- Chair, New World Resources 
- Director, OKD
- Director, Julius Baer Holdings
- Director, Namdeb Diamond
- Senior Advisory Board, TowerBrook 
- Chairman of the Board of Directors, MMC Norilsk Nickel.
- Advisory Council, Front Row Group 
- Nonexecutive Chairman of the Board of Directors Edcon Holdings Limited
- Senior Advisory Board, TowerBrook Capital Partners 
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Gareth Penny, Debswana, accessed May 3, 2009.
- Penny Gareth, Norilsk Nickel, accessed January 29, 2015.
- New World Resources Management, organizational web page, accessed September 17, 2012.
- TowerBrook Senior Advisory Board, organizational web page, accessed May 30, 2012.
- Front Row Group Home, organizational web page, accessed December 22, 2017.