Gold Star Families for Peace
Gold Star Families for Peace (GSFP) was founded in response to the war in Iraq. (It is not an affiliate of the organization Military Families Speak Out).
- 1 Peace vigils
- 2 Events
- 3 GSFP overview
- 4 Other members
- 5 Contact details
- 6 Resources
"We as families of soldiers who have died as a result of war (primarily, but not limited to the invasion/occupation of Iraq) are organizing to be a positive force in our world to bring our country’s sons and daughters home from Iraq, to minimize the 'human cost' of this war, and to prevent other families from the pain we are feeling as the result of our losses. We are also hoping to be lifetime support for each other through our losses." 
- To bring an end to the occupation of Iraq.
- To be a support group for Gold Star Families.
- Cindy Sheehan and Pat Sheehan: Their son Army Spc. Casey A. Sheehan was KIA in Sadr City Baghdad on April 4, 2004.
- Jane Bright and Jim Bright: Jane's son Army Sgt. Evan Ashcraft was KIA in Mosul Iraq on July 24, 2003.
- Bill Mitchell: Bill's son Army Sgt. Michael Mitchell was KIA in Sadr City Baghdad on April 4, 2004.
- Celeste Zappala: Celeste' son Army Sgt. Sherwood Baker was KIA in Baghdad on April 26, 2004.
- Lila Lipscomb: Lila's son Army Sgt. Michael Pederson was KIA on April 2, 2003 in Iraq.
- Sue Niederer: Sue's son Lt.Seth J. Dvorin was KIA on 02/03/04
- Dede Miller: Army Spc. Casey Sheehans Auntie
- Amy Branham: Mother of Sgt. Jeremy R. Smith.
Related SourceWatch articles
- After Downing Street
- Bring Them Home Now!
- Carlos Arredondo
- CODEPINK: Women for Peace
- Downing Street documents
- Exit Strategy from Iraq
- International Occupation Watch Center in Iraq
- Iraq Veterans Against the War
- Iraq Coalition Casualty Statistics
- Operation Iraqi Freedom
- Operation Iraqi Freedom: Year Three: Quagmire
- Operation Truth
- peace movement
- United for Peace and Justice
- Veterans For Peace
Press & News Releases
- "Military Families Call for Truth Regarding Downing St. Memo," June 14, 2005 (posted on Common Dreams website).
- Kevin Zeese, "Memorial Day Interview (with Cindy Sheehan): Gold Star Families for Peace," Democracy Rising, May 30, 2005; also posted on antiwar.com website.
- Eric Ruder, Interview with Cindy Sheehan: "'They died for a lie'," Socialist Worker, June 24, 2005.
External articles by Cindy Sheehan
- "Rewarding Incompetence," Tom Paine.Common Sense, December 23, 2004.
- "The Dangerous Gold Star Families," Common Dreams, January 24, 2005.
- "It Wasn't Worth It," AlterNet, February 4, 2005: "Now that every lie about the invasion and occupation of Iraq has been exposed to the light, why are our sons and daughters still there? Was my son's sacrifice 'worth it'?"
- "The Amazing Hypocrites," LewRockwell.com, March 23, 2005.
- "Murderous Thugs." Transcript of remarks made by Cindy Sheehan, a member of Gold Star Families For Peace, April 4, 2005; posted on Free Republic website.
- "An Open Letter to Bill Ford, Jr.," AlterNet, May 9, 2005: "As manufacturer of the world's worst fleet when it comes to fuel efficiency, it's time for you to take immediate action to help break our oil addiction."
General external articles
- "Military Families, Gold Star Families and Iraq War Veterans Speak Out on Bush's State of the Union Address: Bring the Troops Home NOW," US Newswire, February 2, 2005.
- Evelyn Nieves, "For Some, a Loss in Iraq Turns Into Antiwar Activism. Gold Star Families Band Together to 'Make People Care'," Washington Post, February 22, 2005.
- William Rivers Pitt, "Mother of Fallen Soldier Responds to Iraq Withdrawal Debate," truthout.org, March 11, 2005.
- Clarisse Jones, "Soldiers' families to hold anti-war rally at Ft. Bragg," USA Today, March 17, 2005.
- David Pastor, "Cindy Sheehan lost her son in Iraq, Sunday, in the 26th aniversary of his first son Casey, she will talk in Berkeley against war," Indybay.org, May 26, 2005.
- Frank E. Lockwood, "Mother of dead soldier vilifies Bush over war. President Ridiculed at Interfaith Rally," Lexington Herald, June 14, 2005.
- Bob Geiger, "Cindy Sheehan: Mother And Quiet Warrior," Yellow Dog Blog, June 23, 2005.
- David Henson, "Bush, Sheehans share moments," The Reporter (Vacaville, CA), June 24, 2005.
- Greg Szymanski, "Mom, Who Lost Son In Iraq, Talks About 'Disgusting' White House Private Meeting With Bush," LewisNews, July 5, 2005.
- goplies, "Veterans for Peace Convention," MyDD, July 20, 2005.