HPV legislation in Mississippi
Women in Government Ratings
Women in Government, a non-profit network of state level women legislators, receives significant funding from the pharmaceutical industry, including Merck, GlaxoSmithKline, and Digene Corporation -- all with products related to HPV vaccination and testing. According to their report, "The 'State' of Cervical Cancer Prevention in America - 2008" :
Incidence & Mortality (2008 Score / 2007 Score)
- Cervical Cancer Incidence Rate: 9.7/100,000 (1/ 0)
- Cervical Cancer Incidence Rate/Race: White: 7.8, Black: 13.9
- Cervical Cancer Mortality Rate: 3.7/100,000 (1 / 1)
- Cervical Cancer Mortality Rate/Race: White: 2.2, Black: 7.5
Screening (2008 Score / 2007 Score)
- Cervical Cancer Screening Rate: 84% (1 / 1)
- Cervical Cancer Screening Rate/Race: White: 82.8%, Black: 86.3%
- % Uninsured/Unscreened: 24.7% (1 / 1)
- Medicaid Coverage HPV Testing: Unrestricted (2 / 2)
Healthcare Access (2008 Score / 2007 Score)
- Rate Uninsured Women: 20% (1 / 0)
- % Low Income/Uninsured Women: 35%
Policy Initiatives and Infrastructure (2008 Score / Cumulative Score (2005–2008)
Screening Requirements (0 / 0)
- There are no new screening requirements.
Task Forces (0 / 1)
- There is no new cervical cancer prevention task force legislation.
Access to HPV Vaccines (1 / 1)
- HB 895 would require female children to be immunized against HPV before they are enrolled in 6th grade; provide Medicaid coverage of the HPV vaccine for women ages 19–26; and require health benefit plans to cover the HPV vaccine for girls and women 9–26; died in committee.
HPV Vaccine Information Programs (0 / 0)
- There is no HPV vaccine information activity.
Miscellaneous (0 / 2)
- There is no new miscellaneous cervical cancer prevention activity.
- 2008: Good (12 out of 22 points)
- 2007: Very Good (13 out of 18 points)
Articles and resources
- Women in Government
- The Marketing of Gardasil in Australia
- The Marketing of Gardasil in Canada
- The Marketing of Gardasil in Europe
- The Marketing of Gardasil in New Zealand
- The Marketing of Gardasil in the United States
- Direct-to-consumer advertising
- Disease Mongering
- Drug industry
- Judith Siers-Poisson, The Politics and PR of Cervical Cancer, a four part series, PRWatch.org, July, 2007.
- "The 'State' of Cervical Cancer Prevention in America - 2008", Women in Government