HPV legislation in New Mexico
Women in Government Ratings
Women in Government, a non-profit network of state level women legislators, receives significant funding from the pharmaceutical industry, including Merck, GlaxoSmithKline, and Digene Corporation -- all with products related to HPV vaccination and testing. According to their report, "The 'State' of Cervical Cancer Prevention in America - 2008" :
Incidence & Mortality (2008 Score / 2007 Score)
- Cervical Cancer Incidence Rate: 9.3/100,000 (1 / 2)
- Cervical Cancer Incidence Rate/Race: White: 9.9, Hispanic: 12.5, American Indian/Alaskan: 8.6
- Cervical Cancer Mortality Rate: 2.6/100,000 (1 / 1)
- Cervical Cancer Mortality Rate/Race: White: 2.7, Hispanic: 2.6
Screening (2008 Score / 2007 Score)
- Cervical Cancer Screening Rate: 83.1% (1 / 1)
- Cervical Cancer Screening Rate/Race: White: 82%, Hispanic: 85.5%, American Indian/Alaskan: 78.4%
- % Uninsured/Unscreened: 28.7% (1 / 1)
- Medicaid Coverage HPV Testing: Unrestricted (2 / 2)
Healthcare Access (2008 Score / 2007 Score)
- Rate Uninsured Women: 24% (0 / 0)
- % Low Income/Uninsured Women: 42%
Policy Initiatives and Infrastructure (2008 Score / Cumulative Score (2005–2008)
Screening Requirements (0 / 2)
- There are no new screening requirements.
Task Forces (1 / 1)
- SJM 50/HJM 39 support the formation of an HPV Advisory Panel composed of experts in HPV and cervical cancer screening, immunization and adolescent and school-based health and representatives of the NM Immunization Program, the NM Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program, the public health division of the Dept. of Health, statewide school-based health programs and key healthcare advocacy groups; passed.
Access to HPV Vaccines (2 / 2)
- SB 407 requires individual and group insurance plans and policies to cover the HPV vaccine for girls age 9–14; signed by Gov. Bill Richardson.
- SB 1174 would require female students entering the 6th grade to provide proof of HPV vaccination or written evidence that her parent/guardian declined vaccination after receiving information about HPV and cervical cancer; vetoed by Gov. Richardson.
HPV Vaccine Information Programs (0 / 0)
- There is no HPV vaccine information activity.
Miscellaneous (1 / 1)
- HB 965 would allocates monies from an increased cigarette tax to the Dept. of Health to support public health programs, including cervical cancer vaccination outreach; sent to House Taxation and Revenue Committee.
- 2008: Good (12 out of 22 points)
- 2007: Good (10 out of 18 points)
Articles and resources
- Women in Government
- The Marketing of Gardasil in Australia
- The Marketing of Gardasil in Canada
- The Marketing of Gardasil in Europe
- The Marketing of Gardasil in New Zealand
- The Marketing of Gardasil in the United States
- Direct-to-consumer advertising
- Disease Mongering
- Drug industry
- Judith Siers-Poisson, The Politics and PR of Cervical Cancer, a four part series, PRWatch.org, July, 2007.
- "The 'State' of Cervical Cancer Prevention in America - 2008", Women in Government