Hazelwood mine fire 2014
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Sunday, September 14, 2008: A fire starts in the Hazelwood mine. The following day AAP reported that the fire had spread across a 500 metre wide disused section of the Hazelwood mine mine. It was reported that the Country Fire Authority expected the fire would require 100 firefighters and could burn for a further 48 hours.
- Sunday February 9: Fire in the Hazelwood and Yallourn mines reported.
- The Age reports that one of the clusters of fires was in the Latrobe Valley "where the Hazelwood power plant is under threat."
- Monday February 10: The Country Fire Authority incident controller for the Morewell fire, Laurie Jeremiah, told The Age that grass fires had spotted into the mines and that the fires in the mine joined up. "The fire has gone quiet overnight, it will move again this afternoon for Morwell - at least we've got three days work at least in order to contain it," he said.
- Friday February 28:
- Friday March 21: Deputy Premier Peter Ryan announces the terms of reference for the Board of Inquiry in the Hazelwood mine fire.
- Sunday March 23: Victorian Premier Denis Napthine states that the inquiry will be open to public submissions. "The board of inquiry will be an open process, and will be seeking submissions from the broader community, as well as submissions from people with expertise who have opinions to offer to assist the board of inquiry in dealing with their very broad terms of reference," he said in response to a question from a journalist. "The actual conduct of the inquiry is a decision for Bernie Teague and the fellow directors, but I would fully expect that they will call for public submissions, and that will give everybody an opportunity to have their say about the issues over the past few weeks, and to make their comments to the board of inquiry directly."
Articles and resources
- "Coal mine fire to burn for next 48 hours", The Age, September 15, 2008.
- "Smoke over the Latrobe Valley", Twitter, February 9, 2014.
- Samantha Landy, "Huge smoke cloud over the open cut mine near Hazelwood in the Latrobe Valley", February 9, 2014.
- Adrian Lowe, "Victorian bushfires: February 9, 2014", The Age, February 9, 2014.
- Catherine Chisholm, "Victorian bushfires: February 10, 2014", The Age, February 10, 2014.
- Deputy Premier Peter Ryan, "Deputy Premier announces Terms of Reference for Hazelwood Mine Fire Inquiry", Media Release, March 21, 2014.
- Denis Napthine, "Full transcript of media conference by Premier Denis Napthine – 23 March 2014", Victorian Government, March 23, 2014.
Related SourceWatch articles
- Scott Thompson, Hazelwood Mine Fire, Firesafe Australia, February 2014.