Healthcare-NOW! is a "movement for a National Health Insurance system", or single payer health care system, in the United States supporting United States National Health Care Act: H.R.676. In July, 2008 the organization responded to confusion caused by the launch of a well-funded liberal lobby campaign with a similar name, Health Care for America Now, a group that does not support HR676.
Board of Directors
- Marilyn Clement, National Coordinator, Healthcare-Now
- Dr. Quentin Young, National Coordinator, Physicians for a National Health Program, Health-Now Co-Chair
- Leo Gerard, President, United Steelworkers Union, Health-Now Co-Chair
- Jim Winkler, General Secretary, General Board of Church and Society, United Methodist Church, Health-Now Co-Chair
- Dr. Byllye Avery, Professor, Columbia University and Founder of the National Black Women's Health Project
- Nurah Ammat' Ullah, Muslim Women's Institute for Research and Development
- Barbara T. Baylor, M.P.H., Minister for Health and Wellness Program, United Church of Christ, Cleveland, Ohio
- Medea Benjamin, CODEPINK: Women for Peace, San Francisco, CA
- Adrienne Maree Brown, League of Young Voters and the Ruckus Society, San Francisco, CA
- Hilary Chiz, Steelworkers, Pittsburgh, PA
- Dr. Charlie Clements, Director, Unitarian Universalist Service Association
- Mark Dudzik, The Labor Party, Washington, D.C.
- Dr. Oliver Fein, President, Physicians for a National Health Program, NY
- Dr. Ida Hellander, Executive Director, Physicians for a National Health Program, Chicago
- Dr. David Himmelstein, Co-Founder, Physicians for a National Health Program, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- Susie Johnson, Executive Secretary for Public Policy, United Methodist Church, Women's Division, Washington, D.C.
- Jaime Torres, MD
- Molly Klopot, NY President, The Women's International League for Peace and Freedom, NY Branch
- The Reverend Peter Laarman, Executive Director, Progressive Christians Uniting, Los Angeles, CA
- Sister Beth LeValley, Co-Founder of Greater Rochester Interfaith Health Care Coalition, Director of communications, Sisters of Saint Joseph of Rochester Rochester, NY
- Michael Lighty, California Nurses Association
- Robin Lloyd, Community Activist, Burlington, VT
- John Lozier, Executive Director The National Council of Health Care for the Homeless, Nashville, TN
- Rabbi Robert Marx, Chicago, Former Chairman of the Board of the National Interfaith Committee for Worker Justice
- Spencer Nabors, Student National Medical Association, D.C.
- Cecil Roberts, President, United Mineworkers of America, Washington, DC
- Ethel Long Scott, Executive Director, Women's Economic Agenda Project, Oakland, CA
- Liz Theoharis, The Employment Project, New York, NY
- Miriam Thompson, Activist Organizer, NC
- Wayne Thompson, Executive Director, Oklahoma Medical Research Center, Oklahoma City, OK
- Kay Tillow, Labor Organizer, Louisville, KY
- Jaime Torres, DPM, President, Latinos for National Health Insurance, New York, NY
- Dr. Lucius Walker, Executive Director, Interreligious Foundation for Community Organization, New York, NY
339 Lafayette Street
New York, NY 10012-2725
Phone: 800 453-1305
Email: info AT healthcare-now.org
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch Resources
- "About", Healthcare-NOW! website, accessed September 2009.
- "Healthcare-NOW Position Regarding Health Care for America Now", Healthcare-NOW! website, undated, accessed September 2009.
- Marilyn Clement, "Healthcare-NOW!" Cnhpnowlist, June 30, 2005.
- Marilyn Clement, "Doctors and Patients Working Together," Medscape Today, July 29, 2005.
- Alfredo Lopez, "New Iraq Constitution Guarantees Health Insurance," Healthcare-Now List, September 21, 2005.
- "PDA Joins Healthcare for All National Day of Action June 7!" Progressive Democrats of America, June 7, 2006.
- Marilyn Clement, "A Strategy for Healthcare-NOW," Progressive Democrats of America, November 15, 2006.
- Marilyn Clement, "A Strategy for Seeking National Single-Payer Health Care System That Will Cover Everyone in the United States," The Black Commentator (truthout), November 16, 2006.
- Marilyn Clement, "The Insurance Companies' Plan for Covering the Uninsured," ZNet, November 29, 2006.
- Murray Waas "Insurance Company Must Pay $10 Million For Revoking Policy of Teen with HIV," Huffington Post, Sept. 17, 2009.