Herbert Girardet "was born in Germany to a family of Huguenot background. He went to the UK in 1963 as a student and decided to make his home there. He is married with two grown-up sons. He has a B Sc Econ (LSE).
"Herbert Girardet is a social anthropologist and cultural ecologist, now working as a writer, consultant and filmmaker. His main focus in recent years has been the sustainable development of cities and contemporary lifestyles. He is a recipient of a UN ‘Global 500 Award for Outstanding Environmental Achievements’, and an honorary Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects." 
- Director, World Future Council
- Director, Under the Sky 
- Trustee, Artists Project Earth 
- Associate Editor, Resurgence 
- 1990 - : Patron, the Soil Association, Bristol.
- 1994 - : Chairman, The Schumacher Society, UK
- 2002 - : Chairman, Sustainability Alliance
- Advisory Board, Pro-Natura International
- Advisory Board, Earth Charter 
- Faculty member, SustainAbility 
- Advisory Board, Ecological Sequestration Trust 
- Advisor, Global Vision Project 
Books and reports
- 1986: Far from Paradise, ‘the story of human impact on the planet’; BBC Publications, London, four foreign editions; (co-author)
- 1987: Blueprint for a Green Planet; ‘how to take practical action to fight pollution’; Dorling Kindersley, London, 12 foreign editions; (co-authored with John Seymour and Ian Penney)
- 1992: Earthrise, ‘how we can heal our injured planet’; Paladin Books, HarperCollins, London; Published for the Rio Earth Summit; (author)
- 1992: The Gaia Atlas of Cities, ‘new directions for sustainable urban living’, Gaia Books, London, four foreign editions; special edition for Habitat II, Istanbul, June 1996; (author)
- 1995: Getting London in Shape for 2000; report for London First on how London could take measures for sustainable development; (author)
- 1996: Making Cities Work: ‘the role of local authorities in the urban environment’; Earthscan, London. Commissioned by the UN for Habitat II, Istanbul, June 1996; (Editor)
- 1996: Creating a Sustainable London, report for Sustainable London Trust on implementing sustainable development in London; (co-author)
- 1999: Creating Sustainable Cities, Green Books, Dartington; (author)
- 2001: Tall Buildings and Sustainability, report for the Corporation of London; (co-author)
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- CV, thinkers, accessed January 5, 2009.
- Under the Sky Who, organizational web page, accessed May 22, 2012.
- Artists Project Earth Who, organizational web page, accessed April 5, 2012.
- Resurgence Magazine, March/April 2009.
- Advisors, Earth Charter, accessed February 17, 2009.
- Faculty Members, SustainAbility, accessed July 29, 2009.
- Ecological Sequestration Trust Advisory Board, organizational web page, accessed February 29, 2012.
- Global Vision About, organizational web page, accessed April 1, 2012.