Homeland Security

From SourceWatch
(Redirected from Homeland security)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

"Homeland Security" is a broad term that refers to the national security of the United States, particularly in regards to protection against international terrorist activity. The term became widely used after the events of September 11, 2001, when the U.S. government integrated several agencies to establish the Department of Homeland Security.

In the United States, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) accounts for 51% of total homeland security spending (estimated at $70 billion in 2010). According to the OMB, homeland security budget requests for the other 49% came from the following departments: 5.9% Justice; 3.1% State; 6.2% Health & Human Services; 2.8% Energy; 26.3% Defense.

Related SourceWatch Resources on Homeland Security

External Links: News & Reports

Government Links