"Dr. Ibrahim Abouleish graduate of Chemical Engineering from the Technical University of Graz, Austria, from 1956-1961, and medical science from the University of Graz, Austria – 1969 is the Founder and Chairman of SEKEM Initiative.
"Since 2003 Dr. Ibrahim Abouleish was assigned as a professor at Alanus University for the Arts and Social Sciences, Bonn
"Dr. Ibrahim Abouleish founded the companies of SEKEM group:
- 1977 LOTUS Company for medicinal herbs; 1986 ATOS PHARMA for natural pharmaceuticals; 1988 LIBRA for biodynamic cultivation of all crops in Egypt; 1996 HATOR for packing fresh fruits and vegetables; 1997 ISIS for production of processed organic foodstuff; 1998 CONYTEX (now NATURETEX) for manufacturing organic textiles; 2000 SEKEM Holding; 2005 MIZAN for organic seedlings; 2007 ECOTEC Holding for facilitating sustainable industrial development; 2007 SEKEM for Land Reclamation
"Before founding the SEKEM group of companies he worked as Manager of Research and Development in a pharmaceutical company, in Austria from 1969-77.
"Dr. Ibrahim Abouleish is also the founder and chairman of several non governmental organizations:
- 1984 Chairman of the “Sekem Development Foundation”; 1994 Chairman of the “Egyptian Biodynamic Association “; 1999 Chairman of the “Sekem Academy for Applied Arts and Science”; 2000 Chairman of the “Cooperative of Sekem Employees”; 2003 Chairman of the “Cooperative of Habitat”; 2005 Chairman of the “Abouleish Foundation"; 2007 Founder of the “World Future Council”
Selected PRIZES AND AWARDS
- 2012 - Recipient of “Business for Peace Award” by Oslo Business for Peace Foundation for adding to a better understanding of the relationship between ethical business practices and peace.
- 2004 - Award of Outstanding Social Entrepreneurship by the Ashoka Foundation, USA
- 2003 - Alternative Nobel Prize Laureate (The Right Livelihood Award), Sweden
Resources and articles
- sekem Ibrahim Abouleish , organizational web page, accessed June 28, 2013.