Independent Panel to Review Department of Defense Detention Operations
The four-member Independent Panel to Review Department of Defense Detention Operations completed "its final report on its investigations into the prisoner abuses that are known to have taken place in US-run detention centers throughout Iraq and Afghanistan" on August 24, 2004, finding that "a failure of leadership, leading all the way" to Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, "contributed to the abuse of prisoners." 
- Former Secretary Of Defense Harold Brown
- Former U.S. Representative Tillie K. Fowler (R-Florida)
- General Charles A. Horner, USAF (Retired)
- Former Secretary Of Defense James R. Schlesinger
- Press Conference with Members of the Independent Panel to Review Department of Defense Detention Operations, August 24, 2004.
- Executive Summary: Investigation of Intelligence Activities At Abu Ghraib (pages 1-5). AR 15-6 Investigation of the Abu Ghraib Prison and 205th Military Intelligence Brigade (pages 6-33), LTG Anthony R. Jones. AR 15-6 Investigation of the Abu Ghraib Detention Facility and 205th Military Intelligence Brigade (pages 34-176), MG George R. Fay, August 25, 2004. Posted by C-SPAN.
- Douglas Jehl, "A Trail of 'Major Failures' Leads to Defense Secretary's Office," New York Times, August 25, 2004.
- Josh White, "Abuse Report Widens Scope of Culpability. Generals Point to Contractors, Military Intelligence Soldiers," Washington Post, August 26, 2004.