Intermountain Power Project Unit 3

From SourceWatch
Jump to navigation Jump to search

{{#badges: CoalSwarm}} Unit 3 of the Intermountain Power Project was planned to be built alongside two existing units in Delta, Utah.

In Nov. 2004, the Sierra Club and the Grand Canyon Trust appealed this project’s air permits to the Utah Air Quality Board.[1] On July 31, 2007, the six California cities that take 75% of the power from the Intermountain Power Project refused to allow a third coal-fired generating unit to be built.[2] In response, UAMPS (made up of 23 Utah municipalities) and Rocky Mountain Power – which take the other 25% of the facility’s power – threatened to sue.[3]

On Dec. 6, 2007, PacifiCorp announced that it was canceling plans to build Unit 3. Citing the uncertain political situation regarding climate change, the company decided to look instead at a combination of natural gas and wind power systems, which would go online in 2014.[4]

In January 2008, according to the Sierra Club, "the Utah Associated Municipal Power System (UAMPS), a body composed of 23 Utah communities and six electric cooperatives which originally pledged to purchase 50% of the power from Intermountain Power's proposed coal-unit, filed a lawsuit in an attempt to force the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) to go ahead with plans for a third 900-megawatt coal-fired plant at IPP's Delta, Utah station."[5]

In July 2009, Intermountain Power Agency settled the UAMPS lawsuit and confirmed that it had officially canceled plans to build the third coal-fired unit.[6]

Project Details

Sponsors: PacifiCorp and Utah Associated Municipal Power Systems
Location: Delta, UT
Capacity: 900 MW (950 MW gross)
Type: Pulverized coal
Projected in service: 2012
Status: Cancelled


Citizen Groups



  1. Environmentalists Seek to Block Two Coal-Fired Plants, Deseret News, November 18, 2004.
  2. California Unplugs Utah Power Boost, Salt Lake Tribune, July 31, 2007.
  3. Utilities File Notice of Lawsuit over IPP Unit 3, Rocky Mountain Power press release, July 18, 2007.
  4. PacifiCorp to Fuel Plant With Wind, Gas - Not Coal, Deseret Morning News, December 8, 2007.
  5. "Stopping the Coal Rush", Sierra Club, accessed November 2008.
  6. "IPA scraps plan for coal-fired plant in Utah," Associated Press, July 9, 2009.

Related SourceWatch Articles

<us_map redirect="{state} and coal"></us_map>

External links