International Coordinating Council of Aerospace Industries Associations
The International Coordinating Council of Aerospace Industries Associations (ICCAIA) states on its website that that it was established in 1972 to "provide the civil aircraft industry observer status as a means to be represented in the deliberations of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)."
"ICCAIA provides an avenue for the world’s aircraft manufacturers to offer their industry expertise to the development of the international standards and regulations necessary for the safety, security, efficiency, and regularity of air transport," it states on its website.
Lobbying On Global Warming
Within ICCAIA, the Aircraft Noise and Engine Emissions Committee" has carriage of addressing increasing concerns about the aviation industry's noise poluttion and sir emissions. On its website, ICCAIA explains that this committee "provides input to the ICAO Committee on Aviation Environmental Protection" on "how to measure the effects that are to be controlled, the technology available for such control, as well as the trade-offs that may occur when trying to reduce one of the three variables on the other two. Finally the ANEEC also examines operational approaches to reducing noise and emissions as well as technological measures (e.g., improved air traffic management and market-based options)."
At the Accra Climate Change Talks in August 2008, ICAO organized a side event at the conference defending its performance on mitigating climate change impacts from aviation emissions. At the event it hosted, ICAO had the Civil Air Navigation Services Organisation discussing "how efficiency in the skies reduces GHG emissions", ICAO itself presenting the story of ICCAIA on the "role of technology" and the International Air Transport Association on "airlines as the focus of attention in the climate change debate".
- Marion C. Blakey, President and CEO, Aerospace Industries Association of America (AIA); Chairman ICCAIA
- Takaktoshi Hosoya, President of the Society of Japanese Companies (SJAC); Vice Chairman ICCAIA
- Remy Nathan, Secretary, ICCAIA
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Ad Hoc Working Group on Long-term Cooperative Action (AWG-LCA)
- Ad Hoc Working Group on Further Commitments for Annex 1 Parties under the Kyoto Protocol to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (AWG-KP)
- Climate change
- Greenhouse gases omitted from the Kyoto Protocol
- Greenhouse gas emissions from the international maritime industry
- International Air Transport Association
- "Welcome to ICCAIA", International Coordinating Council of Aerospace Industries Associations website, accessed September 2008.
- International Coordinating Council of Aerospace Industries Associations, "Our committees", International Coordinating Council of Aerospace Industries Associations website, accessed September 2008.
- International Civil Aviation Organization, "Aviation actions and initiatives on climate change", Media Release, August 23, 2008.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|