Jonathon Porritt, was born in 1950. "The next couple of decades flowed by effortlessly at Eton, Magdalen College, Oxford, and dossing around planting trees and farming in New Zealand and Australia. I first got involved with environmental issues in 1974, at the same time as I became a teacher in a West London comprehensive, which I absolutely loved. Ten years later, I left teaching to become Director of Friends of the Earth where I stayed until 1991, just prior to the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro in 1992 – which for me, was a life-changing experience."  His father was Baron Porritt of Wanganui and Hampstead.
"Co-Founder and Programme Director of Forum for the Future, is an eminent writer, broadcaster and commentator on sustainable development. Established in 1996, Forum for the Future is now the UK's leading sustainable development charity, with 70 staff and over 100 partner organisations, including some of the world's leading companies.
"Jonathon was appointed by the Prime Minister as Chairman of the UK Sustainable Development Commission in July 2000. This is the Government's principal source of independent advice across the whole sustainable development agenda. In addition, he has been a member of the Board of the South West Regional Development Agency since December 1999, and is Co-Director of The Prince of Wales's Business and Environment Programme which runs Senior Executives' Seminars in Cambridge, Salzburg, South Africa and the USA. In 2005 he became a Non-Executive Director of Wessex Water, and a Trustee of the Ashden Awards for Sustainable Energy. He is also Vice-President of the Socialist Environment Resources Association (SERA).
"He was formerly Director of Friends of the Earth (1984-90); co-chair of the" UK Green Party "(1980-83) of which he is still a member; chairman of UNED-UK (1993-96); chairman of Sustainability South West, the South West Round Table for Sustainable Development (1999-2001); a Trustee of WWF UK (1991-2005)." 
"He is a Non-Executive Director of Wessex Water, and of Willmott Dixon Holdings. He is a Trustee of the Ashden Awards for Sustainable Energy.. Jonathon became co-Chair of the Green Party in 1980, a position which he held until he took over as Director of Friends of the Earth in 1984. The next six years provided the foundation for the rest of Jonathon's career, as they coincided with a huge surge in interest in environmental issues. In the years after that, he wrote a number of books (including 'Save the Earth', at the time of the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro in 1992, which sold more than a million copies) and fronted various television series. Since then he has been Chairman of UNED-UK (1993-96)... and a member of the Board of the South West Regional Development Agency (1999-2008)." 
- Cofounder, The Other Economic Summit
- Former Chair, Agricultural Reform Group
- Co-director, Prince of Wales's Business & Sustainability Programme 
- Trustee, Foundation for GAIA 
- Director, Natural Step International 
- Sustainability Board, Lifeboat Foundation 
- Patron, Compassion in World Farming 
- Patron, Human Scale Education 
- Patron, Learning through Landscapes 
- Patron, Population Matters
- Patron, Springhead 
- Patron, Tree Aid 
- Patron, Countryside Restoration Trust 
- Advisory Panel, BP's targetneutral
- Advisory Group, Green House 
- Advisory Board, Action for Renewables 
- Advisory Board, Cambridge Programme for Sustainability Leadership 
- Advisory Board, Ecotricity 
- Advisory Board, WHEB Ventures 
- Advisory Panel (2009), Resurgence 
- Advisory Council, Environmental Law Foundation 
- Advisor, Converging World Group 
- Co-vice President, British Trust for Conservation Volunteers 
- Council, Schumacher Society 
- Commission Member, Carnegie UK Trust 
- Patron, Alister Hardy Trust 
- Patron, UK Social Investment Forum 
- Patron, Wyse International 
- Working Group, People and the Planet 
- Member, Our Forests 
- Fellow 2010/11, Institute of Advanced Study (Durham University)
- Environmental Steering Committee, Climate Care
- Member, Balanced Migration 
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Jonathon Porritt Bio, organizational web page, accessed August 30, 2012.
- Jonathon Porritt, Sustainable Development Commission, accessed April 24, 2008.
- Institute of Advanced Study Jonathon Porritt, organizational web page, accessed August 30, 2012.
- Prince of Wales's Business & Sustainability Programme People, organizational web page, accessed September 30, 2012.
- About, Foundation for GAIA, accessed October 2, 2011.
- People, Natural Step International, accessed December 8, 2011.
- Lifeboat Foundation Board, organizational web page, accessed July 10, 2013.
- Compassion in World Farming Patrons, organizational web page, accessed January 13, 2013.
- Human Scale Education People, organizational web page, accessed April 2, 2012.
- People, Learning through Landscapes, accessed January 30, 2015.
- Springhead People, organizational web page, accessed January 6, 2013.
- Tree Aid Patrons, organizational web page, accessed April 2, 2012.
- Countryside Restoration Trust Who we are, organizational web page, accessed February 17, 2012.
- Green House Advisory Group, organizational web page, accessed June 4, 2013.
- Action for Renewables Advisory Board, organizational web page, accessed March 27, 2012.
- Cambridge Programme for Sustainability Leadership Advisory Board, organizational web page, accessed June 13, 2013.
- Ecotricity Advisory Board, organizational web page, accessed January 19, 2012.
- Advisory Board, WHEB Ventures, accessed January 12, 2011.
- Resurgence Magazine, March/April 2009.
- Environmental Law Foundation Patrons & Advisory Council, organizational web page, accessed January 1, 2013.
- Converging World Group Advisors, organizational web page, accessed February 29, 2012.
- Our Patron, President and Vice-Presidents, British Trust for Conservation Volunteers, accessed October 3, 2008.
- Council, Schumacher Society, accessed January 5, 2009.
- Commission Members, Carnegie UK Trust, accessed April 22, 2009.
- trinitysaintdavid About the Trust, organizational web page, accessed May 2, 2012.
- Directors, UK Social Investment Forum, accessed November 3, 2009.
- Patrons, Wyse International, accessed October 19, 2011.
- People and the Planet, Royal Society, accessed January 13, 2011.
- Save our Woods Our Forest, organizational web page, accessed February 17, 2012.
- Balanced Migration About, organizational web page, accessed April 6, 2013.