James T. Bennett
This article is part of the Tobacco portal on Sourcewatch funded from 2006 - 2009 by the American Legacy Foundation.
Dr. James T. Bennett received his Ph.D. from Case Western Reserve University in 1970. He is founder and editor of the Journal of Labor Research.
- Advisory Board, Committee For A Constructive Tomorrow
- Eminent Scholar at George Mason University
- holds the William P. Snavely Chair of Political Economy and Public Policy in the Department of Economics
- Director of the John M. Olin Institute for Employment Practice and Policy
- Adjunct Scholar of the Heritage Foundation
- Member of the Mont Pelerin Society
- Member of the Philadelphia Society
- Program Director of the Locke Institute
The 'John M. Olin Institute for Employment Practice and Policy' is the publisher of the Journal of Labor Research. 
James Bennett and the Tobacco Industry
Bennett has staged media campaigns and co-authored books funded by tobacco companies with Thomas DiLorenzo of George Mason University. In 1990, Bennett and DiLorenzo submitted a $150'000 project proposal to RJR, the objective of which was "to discredit the voluntary health agencies in the minds of the public."  In 1995, they billed RJR $100,000  to produce a book a called Cancerscam: the diversion of federal cancer funds to politics, that attacked health charities for spending what the authors deemed a disproportionate amount of their income on political advocacy. The authors argued the money should be spent on research instead. The Cancerscam book comported perfectly with a 1993 Philip Morris internal Corporate Affairs plan to work towards constraining health charities by restricting how much of their funds could be spent on research and capping the amount the charities could spend on salaries and lobbying. Bates Page -6028 of the 119 page plan
- Underground Government: The Off-Budget Public Sector (Softcover) by James T. Bennett, Thomas J. Dilorenzo, Cato Institute, 1983.
- Destroying Democracy: How Government Funds Partisan Politics (Hardcober) by James T. Bennett, Thomas J. Dilorenzo, Cato Institute, 1986.
- Unfair Competition: The Profits of Nonprofits (Hardcover) by James T. Bennett, Thomas J. Dilorenzo, Hamilton Press, 1989.
- Official Lies: How Washington Misleads Us (Hardcover) by James T. Bennett, Thomas J. Dilorenzo, Attitude Media, 1992.
- Unhealthy Charities: Hazardous to Your Health and Wealth (Paperback) by James T. Bennett, Thomas J. DiLorenzo, Basic Books, June 1995.
- Cancer Scam: Diversion of Federal Cancer Funds to Politics (Hardcover) by James T. Bennett, Thomas J. Dilorenzo, Transaction Publishers, 1997
- The Food & Drink Police: America's Nannies, Busybodies & Petty Tyrants (Paperback) by James T. Bennett, Thomas J. Dilorenzo, Transaction Publishers, 1999.
- Public Health Profiteering (Hardcover) by James T. Bennett, Thomas J. DiLorenzo, Transaction Publishers, August 2001.
- From Pathology to Politics: Public Health in America (Paperback) by James T. Bennett, Thomas J. Dilorenzo, Transaction Publishers, 2008.
Related SourceWatch Resources
- Capital Research Center and the tobacco industry
- Thomas DiLorenzo (co-authored pro-tobacco industry books with James T. Bennett]]
- "James T. Bennett", George Mason University