Jane Holl Lute
Jane Holl Lute has served as Deputy Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security since April 2009. 
Prior to her time at DHS, Lute served in the United Nations as Assistant Secretary General for Peacekeeping Support and earlier as Assistant Secretary-General for Mission Support in the Department of Peacekeeping Operations. 
According to her August 2003 UN biographical note, Lute served "a distinguished first career in the United States Army," before serving "in several senior posts in major foundations engaged in international affairs, as well as on the staff of the United States National Security Council.
"Immediately prior to her appointment with the United Nations, Ms. Lute was Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of the United Nations Foundation and the Better World Fund; the entities established to administer Ted Turner’s $1 billion contribution to support the goals of the United Nations. In 2000, she served as Executive Director of the Association of the United States Army’s project on the role of American Military Power.
"From 1994 to 1999, Ms. Lute headed up the Carnegie Commission on Preventing Deadly Conflict (web) and was a senior public policy fellow at the Woodrow Wilson Center for International Scholars, while from 1991 to 1994 she was director of European Affairs in the National Security Council staff at the White House.
"Ms. Lute has a Ph.D in Political Science from Stanford University, and a J.D from Georgetown University."
- Member, Aspen Institute / Aspen Strategy Group
- Member, Council on Foreign Relations (2004)
- Director, Hunt Alternatives Fund.
- Advisory Board (former member in 2008 at least), Center for Preventive Action 
- "The Warning-Response Problem and Missed Opportunities in Preventive Diplomacy" by Alexander L. George and Jane E. Holl. A Report to the Carnegie Commission on Preventing Deadly Conflict, Carnegie Corporation of New York, May 1997.
- Biographical Note: Jane Holl Lute, United Nations, August 1, 2003.
- Bio: Jane Holl Lute, Department of Peacekeeping Operations, United Nations.
- Profile: Jane Holl Lute, Aspen Strategy Group.
- Brief Bio: Jane Holl Lute, Wilson Center.
Articles & Commentary
- "Jane Holl Lute, Executive Vice President and COO, United Nations Foundation: Interdependence in the 21st Century," Philanthropy News Digest, June 11, 2002.
- Dick Gordon, "Who Will Rebuild Iraq?" The Connection (WBUR.org/Boston), April 2, 2003.
- Dick Gordon, "Blue Helmets in the Middle East," The Connection (WBUR.org/Boston), June 17, 2003.
- Colum Lynch, "U.N. Faces More Accusations of Sexual Misconduct. Officials Acknowledge 'Swamp' of Problems and Pledge Fixes Amid New Allegations in Africa, Haiti," Washington Post, March 15, 2005.
- Philip Hensher, "Who punishes the crimes of the United Nations? Any question of delicacy seems to be withheld from the public gaze, and scrutiny difficult to exercise," The Independent (UK), January 9, 2007.